SOS-Client busy when no access allowed

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SteKra

SOS-Client busy when no access allowed

Post by SteKra » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:02 am

I'm using SOS-server and SOS-client 4.0.2. in a test environment and I've got the following problem.
In a project there are 2 subprojects with different access rights. When I try as a user with read access to only one subproject
to access to the whole project with "Get latest version", I get the data from the accessable project, like expected. For the
other project there were also like expected in the SOS-server Log the message "You do not have access rights...".
But the SOS-client is busy, as long as the "Stop current Operation"-button on client-side will be pressed.
My question is, how to stop the activity of the SOS-client automatically, when no access allowed, because a remote
developer probably not know, that there is a access problem and he is waiting and waiting,...?

Many thanks for any ideas!

Best regards
Steffen

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:02 am

If I understand this correctly, the client hangs when the user tries to do a Get but doesn't have access to one of the subprojects.

How long does the user wait? Does the Get ever complete?

Can a remote user do a get of the projects if they have full access? I'm trying to determine if there's a problem with the Get in general or just when access is denied.

In SOS 4.0.2, there's no way for the client to automatically disconnect from the SOS Server if an operation is taking too long.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:13 am

My experience is that a get never completes within 10 minutes when trying to access files which are not accessible.
When I do a "get latest" on accessible files I got the files within a split of a second

rparker

Post by rparker » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:50 pm

We are having the same problem over here - the operation never completes and we have to restart the client app.

Also, in SOS, users can see the files names in projects where they do not have access rights. In the VSS client, users can only see files in projects where they have access rights.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:58 pm

The first thing we'd suggest is finding out what version of VSS you have installed on the SOS server machine. Look in the VSS client Win32 directory for the ssapi.dll file and check Properties->Version. Version 98.48 is VSS 6.0d, for instance.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... 46&sd=msdn

Let us know which version of the ssapi.dll you have and we'll try to replicate this problem in-house

Regarding project rights: Because of variations in the Automation Component provided by Visual SourceSafe, we've found project rights behavior depends on the version of VSS installed on the SOS Server machine.

With VSS 6.0c, the user can see the files but not act on them. However, if
VSS 6.0d is installed on the SOS Server machine, project rights in VSS are fully honored.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

SteKra

RE: Version Ssapi.dll

Post by SteKra » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:43 am

The version of the Ssapi.dll is 6.0.89.87. This is VSS 6.0 SP5.

Best Regards
Steffen

rparker

Post by rparker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:16 pm

I installed the latest service pack for visual studio, which upgraded VSS to version 6.0d and it fixed all of our problems. Thanks,

Rob

SteKra

Post by SteKra » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:26 am

Rob,

Thanks a lot. It works.

Rdgs
Steffen