Unable to install SOS 3.5.3 on Windows 2000 Server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Johan de Beuker

Unable to install SOS 3.5.3 on Windows 2000 Server

Post by Johan de Beuker » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:55 am

Hi,

We've been using SOS 3.5.2 for a long time on a Windows NT 4 server. Now we want to move SOS to another server which runs Windows 2000 Server (clean install). When I try to install SOS 3.5.3 i'll get the following error:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. (see also screenshot as attachment)

This happend with the 3.5.2 installation and also with the 3.5.3 installation. What can be wrong?
Attachments
16bitsubsystem.jpg
16bitsubsystem.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:13 am

We have had a handful of reports of this particular error, but we are not quite sure why the install package throws this error on some machines.

The SOS Server installation process does not modify the server machine System Registry. Therefore, you may try the following workaround to get the SOS Server files onto the Windows 2000 Server machine.

1) Copy the SOS folder from NT machine where SOS was previously installed to the Windows 2000 server. The SOS Server for 3.5.3 is identical to the 3.5.2 server. In 3.5.3 only the client was updated.

2) Bring up the Command Prompt.

3) Change directories to the SOS folder.

4) Run the following: sossvr /install

This should install the SOS Server service.

After configuring the Server using the Server Manager, you should be able to start the SOS Server service.

If you no longer have the old installation, contact me -- linda@sourcegear.com -- and I'll email the server executable and files to you.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Johan de Beuker

Post by Johan de Beuker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:20 am

Thanks Linda, It seems to work. I'll have to test it first. That can be done after my vacation.