Retrieving new files without full glv in Visual Studio IDE

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

pysteve

Retrieving new files without full glv in Visual Studio IDE

Post by pysteve » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:07 am

Is there a way to retrieve new files added to a project without doing a full glv from within the Visual Studio .NET IDE? We are using SourceOffsite 3.5.3 and in the past I've resorted to removing the SOS cache before opening the project in Visual Studio. However, after doing this Visual Studio has let me make changes to files without checking them out.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:33 am

Is there a particular reason you don't want to do a Get Latest Version?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

pysteve

Post by pysteve » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:50 am

Yes, the project is very large and it takes upwards of an hour to do a get latest version from the root of the project. This represents a lot of downtime when all I want to do is get some new files our designer has added.

corey

Post by corey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:32 am

If you only want to fetch new files that have been added to the project, you should be able to do the following:

Within VS.NET, select the solution or project in the Explorer pane and then select the menu File -> Source Control -> Get. In the dialog that appears, *only* select the project file and press OK. When VS.NET processes the updated project file, it should recognize it is missing some newly added files and have SOS automatically fetch them.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rw

get...

Post by rw » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:11 am

I am working on the same project as py.

When I tried your suggestion I got this:-

1. V. Lenghty wait - no dialogues - no info about what was happening

2. The message "An error has occurred with your source control provider. Please check installation".

3. "Your solution does not appear to be under source control" - vs.net message

4. "VS.Net now needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

I am sorry for the inconvenience too!!!

why is SOS/VSS so flaky??

Is vault any better?

corey

Post by corey » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:55 pm

I tested the solution I posted using SOS 4.0; I'll have it tested with 3.5 to see if the behavior is different.

Another solution for just updating the project for newly added files, would be to exit VS.NET, use the SOS GUI client to fetch just the new files and updated project files, and then restart VS.NET.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC