Pinning shared files does not work!

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

edemi

Pinning shared files does not work!

Post by edemi » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:45 am

Hi all,

Pinning shared files does not work for users who are part of the SOS user list.
We have SOS 3.5.3 set up for remote users and using VSS6.0d locally. I have added my self to the user list in SOS so I can access VSS remotly. Everything works fine except pinning. When I remove my self from the SOS user list, it will let me pin again.

Did anyone have the same problem? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks!
Last edited by edemi on Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:05 pm

We've had reports of pin not working as expected in certain situations.

Sometimes pin functionality changes depending on the version of VSS being used with SOS.

Could you provide the specific steps to reproduce what you are seeing? Also, what version of VSS is installed on the SOS Server machine (specifically, the version of the ssapi.dll in the Win32 directory of VSS)?

Then we can determine if this is a known bug and if it's been fixed in SOS 4.0.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

edemi

Post by edemi » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:20 pm

The version of VSS we use is 6.0d. The SOS server version is 3.5.3. The version of ssapi.dll is 6.0.98.48.

While I was waiting for a reply I have recreated the users in SOS and stoped and started the SOS Service. After that we were able to pin from VSS. However now, when we try to pin from SOS we get operation failed error message.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:20 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with who's on the list of SOS users. It's probably a coincidence.

I experimented with SOS 3.5.3 and VSS 6.0d and found pinning to be very unreliable. I was able to pin some files but not others. There didn't seem to be a pattern.

Pin worked better with the SOS 4.0 server and VSS 6.0d.

I also tried SOS 3.5.3 with the Microsoft Hotfix for 6.0c, and that worked, too.

If you don't care to upgrade to 4.0, I'd suggest you see this KB article for a download for the Hotfix. The Hotfix should be installed in the VSS directory on the SOS Server machine.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1348

This article talks about a concurrency crash, but the Hotfix fixed some other VSS automation component bugs too.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager