Problem: Multiple Logins Required in VS.NET

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

arrochar

Problem: Multiple Logins Required in VS.NET

Post by arrochar » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:28 pm

Whenever I open my VS.NET project, SOS asks me to login twice.

I had this problem before, but then it went away, and now it's back again.
I removed the entire project (to a temp directory) and then did a clean "Open From Source Control..." - and SOS asked me to login for every project (I have a solution with 1 web app, and 11 C# projects).

After this, whenever I open the solution in VS.NET, it asks me to login 2 times.

Has anyone else observed this?

Has anyone figured out how to make it ask for login only one time?

TIA,
-james mcfarland

I am using SOS Client 4.0.2, and SOS Server 4.0.2

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:07 pm

Do you have "connect automatically" and "remember my password" checked in the connection dialogs for the GUI client?

Also, there should be an option in Tools->Options->SCC or SCC->Advanced to connect to the last server.

This should cut down on multiple login prompts.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

arrochar

Post by arrochar » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:35 am

lbauer wrote:Do you have "connect automatically" and "remember my password" checked in the connection dialogs for the GUI client?

Also, there should be an option in Tools->Options->SCC or SCC->Advanced to connect to the last server.

This should cut down on multiple login prompts.
I set the Tools|Options|SCC|Advanced|Connect to Last Server option. This did not reduce the 2 logins.

I tried the "connect automatically" and the "remember my password" options in the past and observed what appeared to me as unpredictable behavior (projects/solutions got messed up, vs.net hung attempting to update files, etc.) - Thus, I won't use connect automatically nor remember my password.

Since SOS puts the password I typed from the first dialog into the second, I am just going to live with pressing "enter" twice.

It would be nice to gain an understanding of why there are 2 login prompts, perhaps one is for the solution and one for the web app? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-james

corey

Post by corey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:34 am

The multiple login dialogs occur mostly due to how Visual Studio uses the Microsoft source control integration API. When a solution/project is opened, Visual Studio will often open and close the project multiple times under the covers, which results in the multiple login dialogs.

To prevent this, enable "remember my password" but leave "automatically connect" turned off. Within the IDE, "automatically connect" is not needed as the IDE itself binds each project to the correct server.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:30 am

That fully satisfies my concerns/desire for "why". Is easier to accept that there is the type of solution to the issue that I seek.

Thanks,
-james

Multiple Logins to go to Multiple Projects

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:58 am

It would appear that when VS is asking for Multiple logins, it would be possible to go to multiple databases, even potentially on different servers.

The issue that we have is that one project in the solution may reside in a different repository. It looks like there is no way to tell SOS to use a different repository for a given project in a solution.

Any ideas?

Note: This is all related to SOS 4.0.2

corey

Post by corey » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:25 pm

You're correct in that SOS doesn't support integration of a single solution with projects on different servers or databases. We'll have to add that as a feature request. I'm not even completely sure that the Microsoft integration APIs would support it.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC