Getting Latest, but not over checked out files.

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:08 pm

We're using SOS 4.0.2. When getting latest version, is it possible to tell SOS not to overwrite files that are checked out?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:42 am

Are you using the GUI Client, Integrated Client or Command Line Client?

In the GUI Client enable Command Dialogs in Tools->Options. When you do a Get Latest, the dialog will ask how you want to handle conflicts with locally modified files. (This is also in Tools->Options->Files->Handle Conflicts . . .")

If you choose "overwrite," SOS will overwrite all files, checked out or not.

A better choice would be "do not overwrite, merge later." Also uncheck "prompt for each file" if that is checked.

This should allow you to get the latest version of files if they have the status "Old," while not overwriting files that are modified.

In the Command Line Client, using "-skipwritable" should accomplish the same thing.

In the IDE, for VS.NET these options would be in Tools->Options->Source Control->SCC Provider -> Advanced->Files->Handle Conflicts . . .
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:26 pm

Linda, thank you for your response.

I am using the GUI client, and many of the files I have checked out show an "Unknown" status. I don't know if this is why, but most of the files I currently have checked out were checked out before I installed SOS and changed my bindings.

Thanks,
Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:29 pm

"Unknown" file status can happen if you previously used VSS and then use SOS with the same working directory.

SOS sees that the files in the working directory have the same names as the files in the database project, but doesn't know how they got there, since they weren't retrieved with SOS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager