Issue of SOS 4.2 with VSS 2005

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dkras

Issue of SOS 4.2 with VSS 2005

Post by dkras » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47 am

I have installed SOS 4.2 into a production environment and for some time it seemed quite stable, however, recently (might be as the number of users was growing) it required restarts more oftern. It started with a restart required once per day to several restarts not.

The environment:
VSS client version: 8.0.50727.42
SOS: 4.2

Errors in windows log:
Perflib Event 1000
Access to performance data was denied to <user> as attempted from C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe

Errors in SOS logs:
Server Exception (407): [Input string was not in a correct format.] - UNRECOGNIZED_MESSAGE
Server Error: 400
Server Error: 407
Exception in Receive(): Could not find a part of the path ....
Server Exception (-100): [Socket error - ParseStream(). Received : 0] - CONNECTION CLOSED
Exception: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall

I was searching the forum to find a solution and saw references to parts of the issues but none of them covered all of them.
The solutions I found were to VSS Automation however it might not be the case as I am using VSS 2005.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:01 pm

The solutions I found were to VSS Automation however it might not be the case as I am using VSS 2005.
That's hard to say there. Being the latest doesn't always mean the best. The one thing I found that does also pertain to the VSS 2005 automation component is that the threading model needs to be set to both in the registry. (the link there goes to instructions)

How many users do you have on this server? Are there any Vista users?

dkras

Post by dkras » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:14 am

Number of simultaneous users is somewhat between 10 and 50.
I don't believe that there are any Vista clients but I have to check. Does it matter if a client uses Vista? The server is on W2K server though.

I made the change in the registry. Do I have to restart something besides the SOS server?

I will post a reply whenever I see if the registry tweak helped or not.

Thanks a lot!

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15 am

I would recommend restarting the SOS Server after you made changes to the Threading Model.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

dkras

Post by dkras » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:03 am

Thank you for the response.

I've tried to change the registry setting and restarted the server.

I would say that it has become somewhat more stable, however, now instead of just "freezing" the service fails.

I made a change to the service setting so it is restarted on any fail and to some extent it is a solution but frankly not something that I would expect to use in a production environment as it is impossible to tell if all commits were correct...

Any thoughts on what might be causing it?

dkras

Post by dkras » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:12 am

Another thing that really bothers me is the error events I see in Application event viewer:

Type: Error
Source: Perflib
Event ID: 1000
Description:
Access to performance data was denied to Crimea as attempted from C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe

The user name mentioned in the error is the one that has been created specifically to run SOS service. There are no other applications or services being run under this user.
I can't imagine why SOS would request performance data or on the other hand access any programs in System32 directory.

Any thoughts to this?

Thanks

dkras

Post by dkras » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 am

Forgot to answer the question above.

Yes, there's one Vista user, however, I don't understand how a client OS can interfere with the server. I also couldn't determine any correlation between SOS failures and work of that particular user. Anyway, thought it might be worth mentioning.

BTW, SOS server is installed on the same machine as VSS. The server is exposed to public through firewall (Microsoft ISA server) by port mapping.

Any ideas are appreciated.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:15 am

SOS Server will require access to the Windows Management Instrumentation API provided in .NET. My guess is the account you have set up does not have that access.

From the page - http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread290557.html =

Code: Select all

Open the "Computer Management" app
Expand the "Services and Applications" section
Right-click the "WMI Control" entry & select "Properties"
Go to the "Security" tab
Expand the "Root" node and then select the "WMI" node
Click the "Security" button
Add the "ASPNET" user & give it access
Instead of the ASPNET account, you'll probably need to use the other account your using for the SOS Service.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Terence

Post by Terence » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 am

You may also want to check and make sure that there isn't any anti-virus software interfering with the SOS Server.
Terence McGhee
SourceGear