embedded visual studio 4.2

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rwilson

embedded visual studio 4.2

Post by rwilson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:43 pm

does sourceoffsite integrate with evc 4.0/4.2?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:31 pm

SourceOffSite integration is only tested with Visual Studio through the MCSCCI API. Even though the MCSCCI API may be used by many products, they all have some differences, and our product may or may not work. I'm not familiar with EVC at all.

rwilson

Post by rwilson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Beth wrote:SourceOffSite integration is only tested with Visual Studio through the MCSCCI API. Even though the MCSCCI API may be used by many products, they all have some differences, and our product may or may not work. I'm not familiar with EVC at all.
evc is a free download from microsoft. it looks a lot like vs 6.0.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

i can't test it with the demo because i don't have access to the vss server at my company. i'd like to convince them that sourceoffsite is a valuable tool for remote developers, but i can't make the argument unless i know it integrates with evc 4.0.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:06 pm

We have an SOS server available you can try it with. Just download the client, set up the integration, and login to our server. Information on that can be found here: SOS Demo.

rwilson

Post by rwilson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 am

Beth wrote:We have an SOS server available you can try it with. Just download the client, set up the integration, and login to our server. Information on that can be found here: SOS Demo.
Thank you.

Before I install the client, I want to be sure of one thing. Is it going to mess up or damage my current integration with VSS? I can't afford to lose productivity on my current project due to SOS screwing something up. Also, will it uninstall cleanly?

And - please don't take this the wrong way - as a potential customer, it doesn't seem like you're very interested in selling me a site license. I'm having to do a lot of work just to find out if your product is a viable solution. As a software developer, I understand that customers can be an unwanted distraction, especially if their requirements are unexpected, but I have learned hard lessons from that kind of thinking. You know a lot more about your product than I do and I've clearly explained my requirements. Why should it be on me to experiment and put my current development at risk?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:46 am

rwilson wrote:Before I install the client, I want to be sure of one thing. Is it going to mess up or damage my current integration with VSS? I can't afford to lose productivity on my current project due to SOS screwing something up. Also, will it uninstall cleanly?
For the test, just create some test projects and use them with the Demo Server. That configuration will have no impact at any of your existing work.

In regards to the uninstall. It will set things back to the way they were before the installation. I don't think it is the case, but if there are regsitry changes that are left, they can easily be found under the "SourceGear" moniker. The only other remnants would be log files you created or other temporary items stored in user's app data location under the SourceGear moniker, which can be removed from the system
rwilson wrote:And - please don't take this the wrong way - as a potential customer, it doesn't seem like you're very interested in selling me a site license. I'm having to do a lot of work just to find out if your product is a viable solution. As a software developer, I understand that customers can be an unwanted distraction, especially if their requirements are unexpected, but I have learned hard lessons from that kind of thinking. You know a lot more about your product than I do and I've clearly explained my requirements. Why should it be on me to experiment and put my current development at risk?
It isn't. Please remember, this is our support site, so the resources here are dedicated mostly to supporting our products.

However, if you would like more information and would like to talk to someone about the benefits of SourceOffSite, please contact us (http://www.sourcegear.com/company/contact.html), and someone from our Sales staff would be more than happy to go over the product features.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear