SOS client silently exits in 5-20 seconds after startup

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

python

SOS client silently exits in 5-20 seconds after startup

Post by python » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:07 pm

SOS client: any (4.2, 4.1.2, 4.1.0, 3.5.3)

I just run SOS client and do nothing.
SOS client GUI appears, "Connect To Server" dialog appears. But in 5-20 seconds client just silently exits.
No error message box, nothing in Event Viewer. It just terminates like with kill command.

During those 5-20 seconds I can really work with client, even connect to demo server, everything works as expected. But it dies then.

Antivir is silent, firewall is silent, all other programs work fine.

SOS client works fine on other WinXP SP2 computer so it is definitely problem with my PC. But I never experienced such kind of problems with other soft.

Maybe you have a clue?
Maybe some client logs can be turned on or smth?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:41 am

There is no client side logging. But check in the Windows Event Viewer on the client machine to see if any error messages are logged.

Check in the Task manager to see if the client is still running but is not visible.

Are you connecting to an SOS Server other than our demo?

If so, what version is it? Is there anything the the SOS Server log that corresponds to your login and disconnect/crash. The server log is log.txt and is in the SOS Server directory on the server machine.

We can look in our demo server logs if you tell me what time you logged in, and what your IP address and username is.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

python

Post by python » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for reply.

Windows Event Viewer shows nothing related to SOS.
Task manager shows that SOS client is gone.

I don't even connect to server. I just run sos.exe (GUI and "Connect To Server" dialog appear but I do not touch anything there) and wait. In 5-20 seconds client terminates on one's own.

So it doesn't seem that server logs can help here.
I still connected to your demo server (IP: 195.5.5.184, login: Mickey, password: mouse) about 25 minutes ago. Client showed VSS directory tree and died when I tried to see properties of some file there (still client temination is not connected with those properties - it just could die at any moment). Most probably you will see smth like "Client closed connection" in server logs.

python

Post by python » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm

It seems that problem is resolved.
Most probably SOS was killed by win32secureie.exe (seems to be malware, but it was not detected by Nod32). At least it tried to kill my Outpost firewall and after win32secureie removal SOS works just fine.

Everything works OK now. Thanks for patience :)