Bad SOS Performance

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ehudm1

Bad SOS Performance

Post by ehudm1 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:34 am

Hi,

We're using SOS for few years now and have 25 users.
Unfortunately, when getting the latest version of the project the first stage of receiving the file list of every folder in the tree takes so much time so the total time of getting the latest version could sum up to an hour.
We recently tested the performance of one of the competing tools called Source Anywhere and found that it is significantly faster than SOS and especially at the stage of getting the file list of the folders. Using Source Anywhere, getting a full directory tree of our main project into an empty folder took 47 minutes less than SOS!
I'd like to know whether Source Gear is going to introduce performance improvements to SOS, in which version and when.

Regards,
Ehud
Last edited by ehudm1 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:45 am

There are many things that can affect SOS performance. We'd like more information about your configuration. What version of SOS client and server are you using?

How large was this get, in total file size? How many files? How long did it take to do the total get with SOS?

If you do the get from an SOS Client on the SOS Server machine using "localhost" for the SOS Server name, does it take less time? (This bypasses network issues).

Also, what version of the VSS automation component is the SOS Server using to communicate with the database? The version of the automation component has an influence on SOS performance.

To determine which version of the SourceSafe Automation Component (ssapi.dll) is used by SOS Server, look under this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32

The value will have the path to the specific ssapi.dll file used by SOS Server. For the version information, locate the ssapi.dll file. Right click on the ssapi.dll file, choose Properties->Version.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ehudm1

Post by ehudm1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:47 am

Hi Linda,

Here is the information you asked for:

SOS Client and Server run V 4.2
Ssapi.dll file version: 6.0.93.50
Server machine: Windows 2003, Xeon 3GHz, 3GB RAM

Project info:
Total files: 4200
Total folders: 300
Total size of files: 127MB

All the following tests were executed on the server machine itself:

VSS get latest version into an empty directory: 4 minutes
VSS get latest version into an existing directory: ~30 seconds

SOS get latest version into an empty directory: 42 minutes
SOS get latest version into an existing directory: 20 minutes

SAW get latest version into an empty directory: 10 minutes
SAW get latest version into an existing directory: 9 minutes

Regards,
Ehud

ssccoorrcchhiioo

Post by ssccoorrcchhiioo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Was there any resolution to this? The performance on my SourceOffSite system is degraded to the point of not being usable. I'm not even talking about GETting a project, merely clicking on it in the SOS client can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to list the contents of that project.

I have read the "Recommendations for Optimal SOS performance" post in Knowledge Base (SourceOffSite) forum and there are a couple of things that don't match my configuration. Can either/both of these make SOS take 15 minutes to read a VSS project listing? ...
For best results, the SOS Server should run on a single processor machine
I doubt we we have such a thing available as a server these days!
The most stable version of VSS for SOS is VSS 6.0c with Microsoft's Hotfix
Our version of VSS is 6.0d (build 31222). Does it get slower with versions newer than 6.0c as well as older ones? Should I really consider digging around trying to find an older version of VSS? If so, can I just copy the SSAPI.DLL file and reregister it?

This VSS database is well maintained and is only accessed by four people. I'm the only one who accesses it using SOS, the others are local to it so use the VSS client. VSS & SOS server are on the same machine. The 15 mintues to list a project was measured when I also installed SOS client on that machine (just for testing purposes) although I connected using the server's IP address rather than localhost.

Thanks in advance,
James McCall

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:42 am

When was the last time you ran analyze on your VSS database?

If you do try to connect with localhost, does it take just as long? We need to know this because this rules out any network traffic.

If their antivirus software running on your SourceOffSite server machine? Or on the VSS database machine? This has a great impact on performance.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ssccoorrcchhiioo

Post by ssccoorrcchhiioo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:28 am

Thanks for the response but I have solved the problem. Three copies of VMWare were running and had taken the server's memory load to 80%. Killing two of these VMWare instances has returned memory to 50% load and SOS response is 10 times quicker (1.5 minutes to list a project rather than 15).

Memory wasn't my first thought because other apps, including the VSS client, seemed to be performing OK.

Regards,
James McCall