"Server closed connection" right after login

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ewellin

"Server closed connection" right after login

Post by ewellin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:22 pm

We are using SoS on the same Win2003 server where VSS 2005 is installed. VSS works fine. The SoS client on the server connects via SoS with no issues. However, when I launch SoS from my machine, I get a login prompt from the SoS server, then it dies and says "Server closed connection." The log file shows nothing out of the ordinary.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Is there an error on the client side when the connection closes?

What version of SOS client and Server are you using?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ewellin

Post by ewellin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:23 am

The error appears in a popup on the client side. Turns out there *is* an error in the server log:

11/10/2006 4:11:37 PM - <SERVERNAME> is attempting to listen for connections on unsecure port 80
11/10/2006 4:11:37 PM - Waiting for a connection....secure = False
11/10/2006 4:12:48 PM - Connection accepted from <CLIENTIP>:3109 on local address <SERVERIP>:80, session id is 1.
11/10/2006 4:12:52 PM - 1: Unable to get hostname from address: <CLIENTIP>
11/10/2006 4:13:05 PM - 1: Exception processing messages: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

All are clean installs of SoS 4.2.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:38 am

It looks like something is closing the connection between client and server. The client thinks the server closed the connection and the server thinks the client "forcibly" closed the connection.

Is there a firewall between SOS Client and SOS Server that might be closing the connection? Also, anti-virus or anti-hacking software might also be interfering with the connection.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ewellin

Post by ewellin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:07 pm

There is an intervening firewall, but my system has HTTP access to the server and other servers in that location. I will try to determine if that is the cause. Thans for your help.

dcrick

I get the same think

Post by dcrick » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Just to jump in on this issue. But my company test 4.1.x and we experinced no problems. So we purchased and installed 4.2 for production and that is when we started to get the same error messages.

It appears to happen the 1st time I try to logon for a given windows session. We do run CheckPoint's firewall, but I can duplicate the problem both when connected via VPN and when I'm on the company network and the VPN is not running. So don't think its a VPN issue.

The only common software I have seen is users that have DevStudio 2003 and .NET 2.0 framework installed appear to have this problem. We don't have any users with DevStudio 2005 only, so I can not state it as an exact cause. But users that unisntall the .NET 2.0 framework who have DevStudio 2003 appear to stop having this problem.

Just wanted to throw in my experinces. Hope this helps.

ewellin

Post by ewellin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:46 pm

I do not have any development tools on my system, but I do have .Net 2.0. Do you think this might be the cause?

Bob at NCS

Post by Bob at NCS » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:12 am

Hi:

Our company just purchased this as well (our New Zealand office). The 'demo' version worked great, but when we purchased and installed 4.2 I get that same message when I try and connect remotely. When I hit 'OK' to that message, I immediately get the "Response for no message sent" error as well. I am told it works ok internally at the site.

Has anyone found a solution for this issue?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:19 pm

It would be helpful if you could provide some additional information:

* Are these problems only occurring for you as a user? Can other users connect.

* Are there any error messages reported in the Server log file?(log.txt in the SOS Server directory)

* Are there any files in the temp directory on the server machine?

The SourceOffSite Server creates a temporary directory for each client
user. The directory is named for the user and is located in the temp
directory located in the SourceOffSite Server directory. For example,
user Bob would have a temp directory called \SourceOffSite\temp\bob841...

When the Server is transferring a file to the Client, the Server copies the file to the temp directory; when the transfer is complete, the Server deletes the file. In a normal situation, when the Client is inactive, the temp directory is empty. If the temp directory is not empty, please delete all subfolders and then restart the SOS Server service.

* Is there free disk space on the server machine?

The last time a user reported this type of error message it turned out to be the result of low disk space on the server machine, but that may or may not be the case here.

Please let us know what you find out.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Bob at NCS

Post by Bob at NCS » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:59 pm

From our New Zealand office:

* Are these problems only occurring for you as a user? Can other users connect.
#RP# Looks like there is only one user (Mike). I think that is your problem. I am unable to add another user as the 'Add' button is disabled. Should I change Mike to Bob? #RP#

(Bob's note: Why would the 'Add' button be disabled?)

* Are there any error messages reported in the Server log file?(log.txt in the SOS Server directory)
#RP# Log file attached. Looks like there are unauthorised user errors (surprise). #RP#
* Are there any files in the temp directory on the server machine?
#RP# No. #RP#

The SourceOffSite Server creates a temporary directory for each client
user. The directory is named for the user and is located in the temp
directory located in the SourceOffSite Server directory. For example,
user Bob would have a temp directory called \SourceOffSite\temp\bob841...

When the Server is transferring a file to the Client, the Server copies the file to the temp directory; when the transfer is complete, the Server deletes the file. In a normal situation, when the Client is inactive, the temp directory is empty. If the temp directory is not empty, please delete all subfolders and then restart the SOS Server service.

* Is there free disk space on the server machine?
#RP# 3.74Gb #RP#

Thank you very muchfor your help. :)
Bob
Attachments
log.txt
(16.98 KiB) Downloaded 850 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:56 pm

The immediate problem
Exception during Login: UNAUTHORIZED_USER
is because you are out of licenses in the SOS Server Manager. Check your Users tab in the Server Manager. If you have 10 licenses and 10 users, and a user not on the User list tries to log in, they will get an error.

Check the System Info tab in the Server Manager. How many licenses do you have? Are they permanent or demo serial numbers?

You can safely delete all the Users in the Users tab -- when users log into to the VSS database via SourceOffSite, the SOS Server will automatically add the users name to the Users tab until all the licenses have been taken up. It's basic a license management, rather than a user management tool.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Bob at NCS

Post by Bob at NCS » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:49 am

Thank you, Linda :)

You are correct; it looks like all of the users are gone and we are down to a single user license for some reason. Our New Zealand office changed the user name to mine and I got in.

Just as a side note, SourceGear may want to change this to display a message like "License Error" or "User Not Found" or some more informative message so the end user doesn't go crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with the network setup (I am the network administrator here and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is set wrong that was disallowing the data through the firewall).

Thanks for the help!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 am

Good point. I'll log a feature request to make this error more useful.

I've also created a KB article so that the error is searchable in the future. We want our customers to keep their hair. :D

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=29259
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dananos

Exception processing messages: An existing connection was fo

Post by dananos » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:16 am

I'm getting this error in the Log.txt

Exception processing messages: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

When logging into the SOS server, It asks for the username and password, hangs for 2 minuts then says server closed connection

Can you help?

Dan

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Something may be closing the connection on the client side. Is there a firewall or other device between the client and server?

Are there any errors in the SourceOffSite server log that correspond to the failed login? The server log is log.txt and is in the SourceOffSite server directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear