Tutorials?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

MeatPie77

Tutorials?

Post by MeatPie77 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 pm

My company just doubled in size, going from 1 programmer to 2! We both work remotely and are using SourceOffSite to keep everything nice and neat. Neither of us has ever used SOS or VSS in the past, and I'm having a hard time finding much in the way of a tutorial on the in's and out's of the program. Does anyone here know of anything available online or in print that would get us on the right track?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:11 pm

Our documentation on SOS can be found here: SOS Documentation

Also, you might wish to check out Eric Sink's Source Control How To. It uses Vault for the examples, but all the concepts are similar.

If you run a Google search for VSS tutorial, there are tons of them. SOS and VSS are going to look very similar.

Do you know if you will be needing integration with Visual Studio or if you will be using the product separate from that?

Have you used any source code control product ever?

MeatPie77

Post by MeatPie77 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:11 pm

Eric Sink's tutorial looks like exactly what I'm looking for -- he's written that book just for guys like me!

I tried alot of the results from Google searches a few weeks ago, but found them either unfinished or lacking in certain areas. There's probably a few good ones out there, but I just don't have the energy to wade through it all.

We'll be using the IDE integration with VS6.0. So far, so good, and SOS has saved our neck a couple times already. We're just running into a few problems with .vbg files and broken references after compiling -- things that, once I get my head around the basics, I can move onto fixing like the educated adult I should be.

We haven't used any source control before -- with just a single programmer for years, they didn't really see the need (shame on them!).

Thanks for the link, Beth!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:18 pm

For more information on IDE integration, I'm going to point you to our overview we wrote for Vault: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=790. That article has some useful links to Microsoft articles on IDE integration with VS. They use VSS in their examples, but it will work much the same way.

You also may find our SOS KB article area useful: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewforum.php?f=14

bbwerner

Post by bbwerner » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:38 pm

Awesome. I've been looking for this.