Unable to Obtain Exclusive Access to Persistence File

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dturton

Post by dturton » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:50 am

Can anyone tell me what generates the SOS error:

Of course if you can't tell me what generates the error, telling me how to fix the problem would b emuch appeciated.

David

corey

Post by corey » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:48 pm

The SOS Clients persist file info locally. Since you can run two SOS Clients simultaneously (the GUI Client and IDE Client, for example), the clients local the "persistence file" when writing to it to avoid corruption. If the local cannot be obtained, the error message you are seeing is displayed.

This problem should only occur if a client is abnormally exited while it has a lock on the file, so that the lock is never released. If it occurs, you'll probably have to restart the machine before the lock will be available again.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

I get this all the time

Post by Guest » Fri May 13, 2005 4:57 pm

I am getting this message very often. After which I can no longer access the SOS server. Rebooting doesn't appear to help.

After a while the SOS server corrects itself and I can again access it.

markheth

Post by markheth » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:24 pm

I am experiencing the same problem. There seems to be alot of conflict between VS2005 and the SOS client.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, other than restarting the machine, which doesnt seem to work all the time.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:33 pm

You could try deleting the persistance (cache) file. It's called databaseX.sos and is in Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\<servername>\
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

markheth

Post by markheth » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:43 pm

I could do that, but unfortunatly, since our tree is rather huge, and located in a different city, it takes 20 minutes to rebuild it... not something I really want to be doing that often.

Does anyone know if you can "reset" the lock on the file without rebooting/deleting the file?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:39 am

You could try closing SOS Client and Visual Studio -- but that may not be the fix you need.

I don't know of other ways to "unlock" a file that's in use by an application. Maybe other SOS users have some ideas.

You might also try just having one instance of SOS running on the client machine -- either the GUI or VS IDE client, but not both.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

markheth

Post by markheth » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:10 am

I used to be able to get it to unlock by starting the client up, and closing it before opening VS, but now that's not working anymore.

I just tried deleting the database file and rebuilding it, and it deleted ok, which tells me there is actually no locks on the file, yet VS 2005 still hangs trying to connect to the project.

Not all of the clients in out company use SOS to connect to VSS, some use direct VSS, which caused some problems with rebinding/etc. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but thought I would mention it.

I've totally rebuilt the tree, and the solution file. It seems to be connecting again, with a much smaller solution file.

Thanks for the help on this, but I have a feeling it's not gone yet.