How to migrate VS2005+VSS of roject to SOS after disconnect

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mjmeans

How to migrate VS2005+VSS of roject to SOS after disconnect

Post by mjmeans » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:36 am

I use VSS 6.0d and VS-2005. A co-developer has left town and taken a copy of our huge multi-GB project with him on his laptop. It turns out that he is going to be away for several weeks and needs to be able to continue working on the project. So we installed SOS Professional on our server and the SOS Professional client on his laptop. Since he left, the project has been updated, and he has also made changes to some files he was working on while off-line. If he were here, he could simply reconnect to VSS, check in his changes and get the latest version recursive. But VS-2005 does not see the path to VSS through the SOS connection. It appears that VS-2005 still thinks that VSS 6.0d is in charge. I have not told VS-2005 to remove source control bindings at this point because I am affraid that this will cause the entire solution to have to be re-downloaded. The documentation for SOS is unclear in this instance.

Is there a way to change the source control bindings on his laptop to use SOS instead of VSS without having to download the entire huge project and also without loosing the changes he has made?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:58 am

You can have people working in VSS and SOS. Would just having the user check in with VSS when he returns be acceptable to you?

You will want to check out these articles:

mjmeans

Post by mjmeans » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:55 am

No. He is going to be working away from the office for an extended time. Probably 6 weeks. This is too long. And since the only connection possible between the laptop and the server is a cellular modem card, downloading the entire source tree is prohibitive. It would take DAYS to do it and would drop connection several times a day. I read the first article you mentioned and will try it. I just hope it does not have to download every file...

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:12 pm

The user will have the cache that SOS has to build which could be large and then in order to work, he will have to pull down the project.

If the user isn't gone yet, before leaving he should try to get the tree and baseline files to his disk, and convert his project over to SOS while he's in-house. If that cellular connection can't stay open without interruption (that includes any networking equipment in the middle that may close or reset a connection), then he's going to find his SOS service and downloads interrupted and potentially stopped in the middle.

Check things out, and see how it works for you.

mjmeans

Post by mjmeans » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:28 am

The user has already left. But he already has the entire project which was retrieved from VSS 6.0d a week ago. Is there no way to "change" the source control binding from VSS to SOS without having to download the entire project through SOS?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:20 pm

The user may be able to unbind the project, which removes any source control bindings, close Visual Studio, then use the Source Control->Change Source Control command to rebind the project using SOS as his source control provider.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager