Concept of virtual group

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

djameson

Concept of virtual group

Post by djameson » Thu May 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I've been a SourceOffSite user for many years....great tool - there's one feature it doesn't have, which I think would be tremendously useful.

There needs to be a notion of a "virtual group" of a collection of files, possibly spanning multiple projects, or subprojects where you have the ability to check out either all the files in that group or NONE of them.

For example: if you're working Delphi, you often have pairs of files, one representing the visual form and the other its code. Those files always have to be kept synchronized and one can get into trouble if one changes one of those files while the other is still checked in. If you cant make both of them read-write, you'd better not do anything at all.

A more significant example is where you have a number of files, perhaps belonging to several different projects that all depend on some other file, which if changed, will prevent the other projects from being built. You'd therefore like to ensure that whenever you're making a change to the independent file, you have all the other files checked out so you can update them all and then check in everything at the same time.

David Jameson

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 25, 2007 8:48 am

SourceOffSite provides remote access to a VSS database, but is not a version control tool on its own. So there's a limit to the types of features we can add.

What you are describing is also called a "change set" or "atomic checkin" which means a group of items are checked in as a set -- or not at all.

This feature is available in our Vault product, which was designed as a replacement for SOS/VSS. Vault addresses many of these types of issues that are unavailable with SOS/VSS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

djameson

Post by djameson » Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 am

Thanks for the response. Not clear to me why the SOS couldn't be made to do this - it's just adding some user defined "bookkeeping" and then automating what someone now has to do manually.
Vault sounds interesting but unfortunately we're stuck with VSS as the backend so can't go that way.

D
lbauer wrote:SourceOffSite provides remote access to a VSS database, but is not a version control tool on its own. So there's a limit to the types of features we can add.

What you are describing is also called a "change set" or "atomic checkin" which means a group of items are checked in as a set -- or not at all.

This feature is available in our Vault product, which was designed as a replacement for SOS/VSS. Vault addresses many of these types of issues that are unavailable with SOS/VSS.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 25, 2007 9:50 am

I can add a feature request for this, though I don't know when/if it might be implemented.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager