problems after opening a solution in VS2003

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Sniipe

problems after opening a solution in VS2003

Post by Sniipe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:08 am

Hello all,

I have a serious problem with visual studio (2003, SP1) and SOS (4.2x)

What I do is the following:
I go to SOS and go to each of the projects and get the latest versions of each of the projects.
This is fine, but when I open visual studio it seems to over-write the local versions when it loads the solution.
After about 90seconds I look at sos again and a lot of the files have changed and I get needs merge and renegade on some of them.

I can go any further on my project as I'm afraid I'll loose data. The problem does not happen with my other team member.

I will re-install SOS and VS2003 if I have to as a last resort.

Below are before and after pics of SOS after I open VS2003
Attachments
after getting latest versions from source safe.JPG
This is SOS after I refresh everything and get the latest versions. (But crucially before I open VS2003sp1)
after getting latest versions from source safe.JPG (240.64 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
after opening VS.JPG
This is SOS after I open VS2003 sp1 and wait about 90seconds for it to load (it normally loads instantly) - It takes 90sec I reckon as it goes off and gets a load of old files
after opening VS.JPG (242.46 KiB) Viewed 4485 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm

I could see this happening if you have separate working folders set in SOS and VS. You shouldn't need to perform a get with SOS before opening it in Visual Studio. Also, don't set working folders in SOS. The place that VS has set as the location on disk is your working folder.

Are there branches involved here too?

What might be the easiest way to clean this up is to unbind your solution, remove the files from disk, remove the working folder from within SOS, then perform a fresh Open From Source Control from within Visual Studio.

Sniipe

Post by Sniipe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:21 am

Thank you for your prompt and easy to follow reply.

I have since removed all local files to do with my project (backup of course)

I couldn't "remove" the working directory from SOS.

Before I did a lot of the project setup from SOS itself but now I see that everything can be done without going to it at all and doing it from within VS itself.

So I'm on my way to getting it done correctly this time, thanks. (I'll be back if it doesn't work - it takes a long time to do it as its a large project)

Sniipe