New error VSS2005 w/ SoS 4.2x

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bcoan

New error VSS2005 w/ SoS 4.2x

Post by bcoan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:58 am

Some of my remote developers e-mailed me this morning with an error that has become common for most of them. They are using VSS 2005 and the latest release of SoS.

They are receiving this error within the SoS client when doing either checkout or get latest

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
SoS Error.JPG
SoS Error.JPG (36.24 KiB) Viewed 6621 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:40 pm

One thing that could cause that is discrepancies in file/folder path information in the solution file.

Have one of the developers try a fresh open from source control on their project and see if that clears it up.

bcoan

Post by bcoan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:58 pm

Speaking with the developers, they are not using integration. This is happening within the stand-alone SoS client.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:24 pm

It says right at the top of the box in the screenshot, Microsoft Visual Studio. This would have to be occurring from within Visual Studio.

bcoan

Post by bcoan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:28 pm

I noticed that myself, that's why I was grilling my folks. I have a feeling that they only THINK they have disabled integration and have the client up as well as SoS integration. Being as they're on VSS2005, I wouldn't think the concurrency issue would be a problem but you never know.

Also, if it's an error coming from VSS and not one being caught within the SoS client, you might still see the title bar of the error as it is. Just a thought.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:46 pm

What I suspect about this is that there's bindings to VSS present. We have a few articles surrounding the project binding both in the SOS KB articles area and the Vault KB articles. If they want to use SOS alone, when they try to open files from VS and there's still bindings from VSS, it may complain. If no binding are wanted, then it just needs to be unbound from VSS.

I think the article for users that are trying to bind to both SOS for external users and VSS for internal users will help explain a lot: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149