SOS unreliable during large gets

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

anthonyd

SOS unreliable during large gets

Post by anthonyd » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Hi,

Maybe someone can help us we have been battling with this problem for close on 4 years now.

We have a sourcesafe server sitting behind a linuc based packet filtering firewall and only one client accessing this with sos. Now he can login fine and everything seems to work correctly. However when a full get of the entire project is done (3500 source files in 480 directories) the ssytem with just go dead at any point of the get. There is no hang, performing a stop current operation works and we can reconnect and start the get again. Problem is that SOS in their infinite wisdom have made it so that a get on a label does a get of every file independant on the state of the local file. This makes getting on a label inpossible unless it is done within each sib directory. That just mkes it painful.

Any ideas on how this can be resolved? It look just looks like somewhere along the line (connection from australia to south africa) a byte or two is going missing and sos just waits forever.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:46 am

We can try to determine whether this is network related. If you do the same get on the SOS Server machine, using "localhost" for the SOS Server name, does the get succeed?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

anthonyd

Post by anthonyd » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Linda,

Dont know why i did not think of trying that - ok using the local machine a get was performed successfully. Also using a machine inside the LAN seems to work fine too. So I can exclude the SOS machine which makes my life easier (a NT4 server machine). I can only assume that the firewall is an issue - are there any known issues when using a linux packet filtering firewall? We have no other unreliable network issues so I naturally excluded this.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:01 am

The problem could be a firewalll, router, or other device. Possibly even network card or NIC settings. Sometime anti-virus software can interfere.

Since you know your network best, check to see what is between the SOS Client and SOS Server that could be causing a problem.

We don't have specific network recommendations except that there needs to be a stateless (always open) connection between SOS client and server, and nothing should be modifying the packets.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

anthonyd

Post by anthonyd » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:09 pm

Sorry I have been away for a while,

Yes I agree that there must be a problem on our firewall side, but when you say nothing must modify the packets, are you saying that we cannot perform any sort of NAT?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 am

It look just looks like somewhere along the line (connection from australia to south africa) a byte or two is going missing
NAT itself, is probably not the problem; it's just re-routing traffic. But if something is causing "a byte or two" to go missing, that's a problem.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear