Connect to existing VSS6 database

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Amplus

Connect to existing VSS6 database

Post by Amplus » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:19 am

Hello,

My company is already using VSS 6.0 and I'm working remotely via VPN. My problem is that VSS is incredibly slow over VPN, it is hardly usable. Most other developers at my company are on site so it's not a problem for them.

Can I install the Source offside client and connect to an existing VSS database? Or do I have to install the server and do I have to convert the existing VSS 6.0 database to SourceOffside compatibility? What are my options with this product?

Can I install SourceOffside server and add the existing VSS database and thus enabling me to get a faster access to the database via my VPN connection? Do other developers have to install SourceOffside client as well if this is the case or can they still use the old VSS 6.0 client when they are working on site?

Thank you for your time
- Bjarki

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Can I install the Source offside client and connect to an existing VSS database?
You need both the SOS Server and the SOS Client. The SOS Client connects to the SOS Server, which sits on the same LAN as the VSS database. The SOS Server communicates with the VSS database via the SourceSafe automation component. To the VSS database, the SOS Server appears to be a VSS Client.
Or do I have to install the server and do I have to convert the existing VSS 6.0 database to SourceOffside compatibility? What are my options with this product?
You don't need to convert the VSS database in any way. However, you do need to install a VSS client on the SOS Server, as the VSS Client provides the VSS automation component (ssapi.dll).
Do other developers have to install SourceOffside client as well if this is the case or can they still use the old VSS 6.0 client when they are working on site?
Other VSS users can continue to use VSS on the LAN.

Another note: with SOS, you don't necessarily need to use a VPN, as SOS can connect over the Internet via a TCP port. You don't need access to the network, just to the port used by the SOS Server.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Amplus

Post by Amplus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:25 am

Thank you Linda Bauer, for a swift and clear reply :)

I'm going to try installing the SourceOffSideServer and connect through it via VPN, then I don't have to worry about security.

This should be perfectly fine since they way I understand it, the server is behaving just like any other VSS client on the LAN and should not corrupt the VSS database in any way.

Thank you,
- Bjarki