Visual Studio 2005 and SourceOffSite 4.2

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

markheth

Visual Studio 2005 and SourceOffSite 4.2

Post by markheth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Often when I connect to a regular (non web) project from our SOS server (it's using the old 3.5 server I believe), with Visual Studio 2005, I am unable to open the SOS client itself, it just hangs and I have to kill the task.

This is resolved by shutting down the VS 2005 dev environment, and then I am able to reconnect using the client. It then complains about the database file being read only, although I am able to do everything I want.

If there are any solutions to this problem, I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:05 pm

Integration with VS 2005 is only fully supported with SOS 4.2, though that may or may not be the problem.

You may be experiencing a concurrency crash of the VSS automation component, caused when when two or more clients connect to the SOS Server at the same time.

What version of the VSS automation component is the SOS Server using? Here's how to find out:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

markheth

Post by markheth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:19 pm

It looks as if I'm using version 6.0.31222.0

And it is located under the VC6 directory structure. My guess is I'm using the incorrect version?

Oh, and yes, I am using the 4.2 Client. I believe our server (installed in a different city) is version 3.5 or around there.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:01 pm

It looks as if I'm using version 6.0.31222.0

This version should be OK -- it contained a fix for the concurrency crash in a previous version of 6.0d. So this is a different problem.

Probably both the SOS GUI Client and VS 2005 are trying to write to the client-side cache -- databaseX.sos -- and that's not working because VS 2005 may have the file locked.

I wasn't able to reproduce this (I could open both a VS 2005 project and the GUI Client with no errors), so there may be certain circumstances that cause this. If you can identify any pattern, let us know.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

markheth

Post by markheth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Yes that sounds like exactly the problem. I have not looked for a pattern to reproduce it yet, although it happens regularly (not all the time though).

I will pay more attention and let you know the sequence.

Just going from memory, it is usually when I leave the devstudio alone overnight for example, and it disconnects from the server, and has to reconnect automatically (VS2005 i think).

I just tried again, loading up VS2005, and the SOS client opened with no problems. It could be something with the disconnects from the network being unstable. I'm not sure how the 2 keep the connection open, or would lose it.