Deleted/destroyed shared file

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

LBeckham

Deleted/destroyed shared file

Post by LBeckham » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm

I have two projects which share some files. One file is no longer used in one of the projects so I deleted/destroyed it in that project. This file still is shown as shared (with both projects) in the other project. This may not really cause any problems but it seems wrong.

How do I "unshare" it?

(Using SoS client version 4.1.2).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 am

I wasn't able to reproduce this.

Did you refresh the file list?
If you right-click on the file that appears to be shared and choose properties->Links, what links are shown?

If you view the file with SourceSafe, do you see the same thing?

Is this reproducible on other shares?

If so, we'd like more information about your configuration.
What version of the SOS Server are you using? Also, what version of the VSS automation component? Here's how to find out:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

LBeckham

Post by LBeckham » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 am

Thanks for the reply.

I did refresh the file list and the project tree. I even exited out of SoS and restarted it before posting this question.

I am at a remote site outside the company firewall so I can't try it with SourceSafe.

I have not tried it on any other files since this is the only file I needed to "unshare" from the 2nd project at this time. Incidently, the files were shared on a file-by-file basis rather than as a whole folder. Does this make a difference?

I'll forward a link to this thread to our IT department and ask them about the server questions.
Les Beckham
Lead Systems Engineer - Guidance & Control
Composite Engineering, Inc.

LBeckham

Post by LBeckham » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:03 pm

Here is the server version info:

6.0.98.48 is the version of the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\win32\SSAPI.DLL as pointed to by

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32
Les Beckham

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Try deleting the client-side cache file. It may be giving you an incorrect view of the project tree.

It's called database(X).sos and is in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\<servername> on your client machine.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LBeckham

Post by LBeckham » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 pm

This didn't work. Instead it just did away with all of my Working Directory settings and now all my files are listed as status "unknown" (after re-selecting the working directory). Unfortunately, I was stupid and didn't make backup copies of the cache files. Oh well -- I guess I should have left well enough alone.
Les Beckham

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:41 am

In the SOS GUI Client under Tools->Options->Files, select "use checksums to determine "unknown" file status.

f you right-click on the file that appears to be shared and choose properties->Links, what links are shown?

I'm trying to determine if the file actually got unshared. Also look in the project properties to see if the file is still in Deleted Items.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LBeckham

Post by LBeckham » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:12 pm

I've refreshed (with the checksums option on) and it actually is only the edited files that have Unknown status now.

The properties->Links view shows the two projects that this file was originally shared in. I'll send some screen shots separately in an e-mail (I'd rather not have these shared publicly).

If I look at Project properties on the project that this was deleted from it does show this deleted file in the deleted items (see screen shots).
Les Beckham

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:54 pm

You can send screenshots to support at sourcegear.com, Attn: linda. It would be helpful to see both the files in the file list and the file properties.

If the properties shows the files are shared, then from a database standpoint, the files are most likely still shared.

Is it possible that you don't have Delete/Destroy privileges in VSS?

Can you branch the files?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LBeckham

Post by LBeckham » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:17 am

I sent the screenshots by e-mail.

I believe I have delete/destroy privileges since the file shows up in the deleted files list in the project that I wanted it deleted from. Will "destroyed" files still show up in the deleted files list? I "destroyed" the file after it was still showing up as shared in the other project, but don't know if that actually happened or not.

I haven't tried branching.
Les Beckham

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 am

Based on the screenshots you sent me, the file is deleted, but not destroyed (it wouldn't show up in Folder properties if it was destroyed.)

Try purging (destroying) the deleted file or branch the file that appears shared.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LBeckham

Post by LBeckham » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:45 am

When I try the Purge command in the project properties Deleted Items tab I get a "The server received an unrecognized message" error.

I tried the branch command in the project where the file still exists and that caused the file share icon to change and now the file properties don't show that the file is shared. This incremented the file version number. The file still shows up in the other project Deleted Items list and still can't be purged from there.

I'm not sure I really understand the significance of branching in SoS/VSS. I'm much more familiar with what this means in CVS. If I make changes to this file (which I don't really need to do at this time) will other users who check out this project get my changes or will they have to specifically ask for the branched version? How do I "unbranch"?
Les Beckham

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:17 am

Branching in VSS/SOS means the file is no longer shared. The file that was shared is now treated as two separate files.
How do I "unshare" it?
Branch is VSS's way of "unsharing"
Linda Bauer
SourceGear