Client points to 3.5.3 server instead of 4.1.2 post upgrade

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

praveenvvn

Client points to 3.5.3 server instead of 4.1.2 post upgrade

Post by praveenvvn » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:05 am

Hi,

I recently upgraded my SOS Server from 3.5.3 to 4.1.2. I followed the installation instructions as provided during the upgrade, which is by copying the relevant files to the 4.1.2 installation folder. But I've still not manually uninstalled the 3.5.3 server application, because there are some users who are still hooked on to it. I'll be uninstalling it after a week or so from now.

With regards to licenses, I had 1 license which enabled 5 users to connect to the SourceSafe DB through the SOS client. Recently we procured additional 3 individual 4.0 licenses. And meawhile I had upgraded the existing license (1 license that supports 5 users) through your website, and as a result, I received 5 individual serial numbers.

After installing 4.1.2 server, I included all the 8 licenses through the server manager GUI and added 8 users and then restarted the service (SourceOffSite 4 Server). Following this, I didn't uninstall the 3.5.3 server application, but just chose to stop the service associated to it (SourceOffSite Server), primarily to verify if I would be able to connect to the VSS DB through the new 4.1.2 server application.

I then uninstalled the 4.0.1 SOS client from my desktop and installed the 4.1.2 SOS Client. I completed the server configuration, and when I try to connect, I receive the message "Unable to connect to server".

But when I start the service associated to the 3.5.3 server application, I'm able to connect. Now the related problem is that I can't enable the additional 3 licenses procured as they are 4.0 compatible. I'm saying 4.0 because in the mail that I received, it says "1 SourceOffSite 4.0 license(s)" and like this I have remaining 2 of them as a result of the recent procurement.

So eventually the purpose of upgrading to 4.1.2 has not helped me and am still left using the single license that enables 5 users.

I hope I was able to put forth my problem clearly. Kindly guide me on how I can resolve this issue. If you need any further information, I can provide it.

Thanks,
Praveen

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 am

What exact instructions are you talking about? You should just be able to perform an install and pick a different location for the second server instance. You might want to consider a reinstall, but pick a different location on disk for the next folder.

Is the 4.1.2 SOS service even starting successfully?

For licenses, it's per user per server.

praveenvvn

Post by praveenvvn » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Exact instructions as you rightly mentioned, just an install with all default options selected. The new server application is installed in a different directory.

The service for 4.1.2 version is also starting successfully.

But when I stop the service related to the older release (3.5.3) while the service related to the new version (4.1.2) is started & running, and then I try to connect through the client, I get a message "Unable to connect to server". Why would this happen??

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:00 pm

In your first post you mentioned
copying the relevant files to the 4.1.2 installation folder
. It sounded like you manually moved something, which doesn't need to be done.

Have you changed what account it runs under at all?

I would recommend an uninstall and a reinstall of the SourceOffSite 4.1.2 server, but let it take care of the installation. It will take care of creating it's own directory all by itself without touching the 3.5.3 version. It doesn't do an actual "upgrade" of the versions prior to 4.x, so to get rid of versions prior to that you would need to perform an uninstall of them.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:30 pm

A couple other things that could be going wrong. Did you configure the same ports for both servers? Each server will need it's own set of ports; they can't share. Then when connecting with the client, make sure you are using the correct server ports. You may have to manually enter them on the client instead of using just what pops up.

praveenvvn

Post by praveenvvn » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks Beth, the port numbers had to be different. That did the magic. Thanks once again for your continued support :) .