SOS Client Hangs on Connection

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

MLeyzerovich

SOS Client Hangs on Connection

Post by MLeyzerovich » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:05 pm

Hello,
It occures to us that SOS client hangs on connection. Sometimes, when users start SOS client and hit connect, the status message says "connecting", but connection can not be established to the SOS server, client just hangs. It goes away if the SOS service is being restarted on the server machine.
We suspect that it has something to do with multiple outside-the-network users (usually 3-4) connecting to the corporate network through terminal services. They all use the same terminal services - server, so, at the same time, they start SOS client on the same machine, but in multiple users sessions. Then they report that they are unable to connect. It looks like these multiple connections attempts somitimes hang the whole SOS server, because if I later try to connect to SOS with my client, without using terminal services (I am on the network), I can not connect either, until I restart the service.
Do you think our assumtions are correct? Have you ever encountered the same problem? Any solutions?
Best regards,
Mike

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:19 pm

There are concurrency issues with certain versions of the Visual SourceSafe Automation Component. The SOS Server communicates with the VSS database through this automation component.

The first step in troubleshooting this would be to determine what version of the Automation Component the SOS Server is using. Here's how to find out:

Look under this registry key:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32 
The value will have the path to the specific ssapi.dll file used by SOS Server. To determine the version, locate the ssapi.dll file. Right click on the ssapi.dll file, choose Properties->Version.

What version is it?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

MLeyzerovich

Version

Post by MLeyzerovich » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:47 pm

ssapi.dll version is 6.0.98.48

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:33 pm

There's a known concurrency problem with this version. See this KB article for a fix:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager