Integrating use of soscmd with use of GUI client

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi,
I would like to integrate the use of soscmd (command line) with use of the GUI client) and am having some difficulties:

1. If I check out a file in soscmd, it shows up as renegade in the GUI client. I have to do a “Refresh File List” in the GUI to show the checkout status. Is there are way, yet, to have the GUI client recognise the checkout status immediately?
2. The GUI client can do a “Get Latest Version” on a project and only those files that have changed will be downloaded. I can’t find a soscmd equivalent. Does it exist? The soscmd GetProject will get all files in the project regardless of their status – i.e. unnecessary downloads, and any locally checked out files are zapped. :-(
3. I have soshome=”C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite” (as per the doco) but the database file is now in “C:\Documents and Settings\<user> \Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers”. Is this a problem?

If any answers to the above are “it can’t be done”, could you please consider these requests for future enhancements!

Regards,
Geoff Hall

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:28 pm

Sorry, I'm using SOS 4.0.
Geoff

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:32 pm

Renegade file status in the GUI client means the timestamp of the file has changed since it was retrieved by the GUI client and the file is not checked out.

If you make changes with the Command Line Client, they will most likely show up as renegade in the GUI client until a refresh, which gets info from the server that the file is checked out. If the file is checked out, the status would then be "edited."

You could try setting the file refresh time to 1 minute, which is about as close as you'll get to "immediate." See the setting in the Client under Tools->Options->Automatically Refresh File list every ___ minutes.

Regarding -soshome, our documentation was not updated to reflect the fact that in SOS 4.0 the new location for the database cache is in Application Data, not in the SOS Client installation directory. I'll log this as a bug.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:48 pm

Linda,

I have observed the "renegade" to "edited" status change on a refresh. My jparticular comment in this area was whether it was possible to have the GUI recognise the soscmd checkout - and appreciate this would have to be a request for enhancement! (In our environment, refreshes are very slow.)

As for -soshome, I tried setting it to "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS" (the equivalent position for the new location of the "servers" directory, but still had the problem of soscmd -getproject overwriting an already checked out file, as well as getting all files in the project even when they were up-to-date. Are there solutions to both of these problems?

Regards, Geoff

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:24 pm

Are you using both SOS 4.0 clients and server? There were some bugs in using -soshome in previous versions of SOS.

There's a new parameter you can try -skipwritable, that should prevent the CLC from overwriting checked out files. Unfortunately, this didn't make it into the documentation.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:36 pm

Yes, both client and server are at rev 4.

-skipwritable sounds like the go. It's a tad hard to guess these things without the documentation :!:

Might there be some more gems in the new version that I would find useful? :wink:

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:22 am

...in particular, can I, or when will I be able to, do a "refresh project" so that only files that are different on the local computer are downloaded?

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Wed May 05, 2004 10:53 pm

I don't want my last question to get lost. I posted a new reply a week ago (?) but it is not here now, so heaven knows where it went.

From soscmd, I would like to be able to get all of a projects' files such that existing up-to-date files are not reloaded (At least, now, I can avoid losing current checked out file changes with the -skipwritable switch.)

This is something I have been doing in SS and would like to duplicate the feature in soscmd. (My messy workaround at present is just to use the GUI which, from my point of view, is unnecessarily time-consuming!)

Is it possible now?
If not, will you please put the feature on a request list?

Thanks, Geoff

corey

Post by corey » Thu May 06, 2004 2:22 pm

The -soshome option, combined with -skipwritable, should give you the functionality you want.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

jschank

soscmd and renegade files

Post by jschank » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Hi there,
I have a similar problem to what's described here, but there are some differences. Generally I use the GUI client (3.5.3), and everything is fine. However, NOW I want to use ant to build a scheduled build system. So I use sosget, which is an ant task that uses soscmd. I have soscmd getting projects to an entirely different directory than my normal working directory, and using a username and password that is entirely different than what I use in the GUI. After my files are retrieved, when I go back to the gui ALL files that soscmd retrieved are marked as renegade.

This is contrary to what is implied in the thread, which is that the files are renegade only if the timestamp locally is more recent than the last fetch. They aren't because the files in the working directory used by the gui are never gotten. The files I get go to an entirely different location. Even so, if I refresh my gui, the files are STILL marked renegade. The only way to clear it up is to re-get everything in the GUI.

Is there some way to solve this dilemma?

Thanks,
John Schank