Unable to CheckIn/Checkout from VB6 IDE

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kumarvinodsha

Unable to CheckIn/Checkout from VB6 IDE

Post by kumarvinodsha » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi,

I am using Source Offsite V4.1.2.

Problem:

I cant CheckIn/Checkout from within VB6 IDE. I cant see the CheckIn/Checkout options on the right click of project files which we normaly see using VSS. Is there any specific setting for that.

Plz assist.

Vinod

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 am

It sounds like your binding didn't occur properly.

Was this a project you opened from source control?
Was it previously bound to VSS?
Is it a new project that needs to be added to source control? (You need to save the project and it will prompt you to add it to source control.)

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:32 am

Also, is SOS set as your default source control provider?

If you look under the tools menu in VB6, do you see SourceOffSite listed there? If so, then you will want to go into the Add-in manager and check to see if source control is set to load on start up.

If you aren't seeing SOS in the tools menu of VB6, then go into your SOS client, go to the Tools menu - Options - General tab and check to make SOS your default source control provider.

If you can't bring up the SOS client separately, then there is something else going on here.

kumarvinodsha

Unable to Check In/Out from within VB6 IDE

Post by kumarvinodsha » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Beth wrote:Also, is SOS set as your default source control provider?

If you look under the tools menu in VB6, do you see SourceOffSite listed there? If so, then you will want to go into the Add-in manager and check to see if source control is set to load on start up.

If you aren't seeing SOS in the tools menu of VB6, then go into your SOS client, go to the Tools menu - Options - General tab and check to make SOS your default source control provider.

If you can't bring up the SOS client separately, then there is something else going on here.

Thanks for the Reply.

Yes, The SOS is set as default source control provider. I can see the SourceOffSite listed in the Tools option of VB6. The problem is if i add new project to SOS i can Check In/Out but if i get an exsiting project(VB6) from Source Safe and try opening that project from my machine it asks me to add that project to Source Safe. It asks me for server setting and proceeds further and asks to Add/Connect that project to the Source Safe project. But it doesnt connect the project to existing Source Safe project but adds a new project to the Source Safe which i dont want.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:57 am

Are you pulling the project down to your computer first, then opening it in VB6? If so, instead try going to VB6, Tools-SourceOffSite-Create Project from SourceOffSite. It will then pull the files down through the IDE integration. Once you have source control integrated with an IDE, you want to perform any function you can from within the IDE.

After using the Create Project from SourceOffSite, you should just be able to use the links in recent projects to open after that.

kumarvinodsha

Unable to Check In/Out from within VB6 IDE

Post by kumarvinodsha » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Beth wrote:Are you pulling the project down to your computer first, then opening it in VB6? If so, instead try going to VB6, Tools-SourceOffSite-Create Project from SourceOffSite. It will then pull the files down through the IDE integration. Once you have source control integrated with an IDE, you want to perform any function you can from within the IDE.

After using the Create Project from SourceOffSite, you should just be able to use the links in recent projects to open after that.
Thanks for your Reply.

I did the same and it worked.

Thanks a lot for that.

But i just wanted to know is there any specific reason for not getting connected to the Source Safe when we open it from machine and not from within the VB6 IDE.

Many Thanks,

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:52 am

When you pull a file from source control you are pulling only a file. The file itself is not integrated with source control. For example, say I'm storing a plain Word document in source control. If I want to send that Word document off to someone, I don't want the file trying to contact a source control provider, I just want it to be a file.

When source control becomes integrated with an IDE, then the IDE has restrictions on source control where if you try to fight it you can sometimes get mixed results.

kumarvinodsha

Unable to Check In/Check Out from within VB6 IDE

Post by kumarvinodsha » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Beth wrote:When you pull a file from source control you are pulling only a file. The file itself is not integrated with source control. For example, say I'm storing a plain Word document in source control. If I want to send that Word document off to someone, I don't want the file trying to contact a source control provider, I just want it to be a file.

When source control becomes integrated with an IDE, then the IDE has restrictions on source control where if you try to fight it you can sometimes get mixed results.
It was useful information.

Thanks a lot Beth.