SOSCmd slower than GUI, and checkin problems

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andybrown668

SOSCmd slower than GUI, and checkin problems

Post by andybrown668 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:57 am

Hi,
I have a few problems with soscmd that I'd like to get sorted out:

1) when getting a project by label, the files are always retrieved even when locally unmodified

2) when getting the latest version for a project, soscmd realizes when the file does not need to be fetched, but the whole process still takes way longer than the gui client.

3) soscmd returns error 400 when trying to use checkinfile if the file is multiply checked out. The build process needs to checkout a version.h file, modify it, then check it back in. But if someone else has got version.h checked out by mistake, the checkin fails.

here's the commands I'm using (with company specific info removed):

this for getting the project
soscmd.exe -verbose -server myserver:8080 -alias "my db name" -name me -password "secret" -project Main -recursive -command getproject -soshome c:\build-soscache -time modification

(I add the -Label parameter if I want to get back to a prior build.)

It seems to me that soscmd deals with getting latest and labeled files differently:
Labeled: fast with file transfers batched up, but it always gets the file even when I already have that labeled version
Latest: on a file by file basis with noticeable network delay between each file even when it then reports that the file does not need to be fetched.

this for checking in the file
soscmd.exe -verbose -server myserver:8080 -alias "mydb" -name me -password "" -project Main -recursive -command checkinfile -file version.h -soshome "c:\soscache" -time modification -log "testbatch"
and here's the output for the checkin
SourceOffSite Command Line Client: 128 bit Encryption version 4.1.2
Connected to server myserver at port 8080.

Matched alias 'xxx' to database 'xxxxxx'

Received Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending CheckInFile Command to server.
Error: Server response = 400 OperationFailed
Saving Tree status updates to file.
Closed connection to server aaa.bbb.ccc at port 8080.

Please let me know if I can provide more info to help track this down - our build jobs are taking way too long to run :-(

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:38 am

1) when getting a project by label, the files are always retrieved even when locally unmodified
I am checking on this yet.
2) when getting the latest version for a project, soscmd realizes when the file does not need to be fetched, but the whole process still takes way longer than the gui client.
What OS are you using for the command line client? Are you still local to the network, or is the command-client remote?
3) soscmd returns error 400 when trying to use checkinfile if the file is multiply checked out. The build process needs to checkout a version.h file, modify it, then check it back in. But if someone else has got version.h checked out by mistake, the checkin fails.
This has been seen before when one is using a different version of the command line client versus the server, so that would be one thing to check.
Are you able to check in with a GUI ok?

Could you send a server log? You can either sent it via the private option here, or just email beth at sourcegear.com and reference this post. SourceOffSite log file (log.txt) is located on the machine where the SOS server resides. It would be helpful if you step up the logging too and add method logging. See this article on how to do that: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

andybrown668

Post by andybrown668 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:13 pm

What OS are you using for the command line client? Are you still local to the network, or is the command-client remote?
I'm using an XP home client and both gui and command line client are on the same machine which is remote
This has been seen before when one is using a different version of the command line client versus the server, so that would be one thing to check.
Are you able to check in with a GUI ok?
The server is 4.1.2.184, gui client is 4.1.2.185, and soscmd.exe was built on the same date as the gui client.
I switched on the extended server logging but now the checkin problem doesn't show up; I'll switch it off again and see if it comes back...