Renegade and Newly Added File

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PianoPlayer

Renegade and Newly Added File

Post by PianoPlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:10 am

Last Friday I checked all my project files into SourceOffSite.

Today I started Visual Studio 2005, opened my Web Site project and noticed that file status was "Newly Added File" next to all the project files (about 169 files in the project).

I attempted to Check Out For Edit the entire project tree. I got the error "None of the items in the selection are valid for this operation".

I also did a Get Latest.

I fired up the GUI and noticed that most project files have the status Renegade.

There is a team of other developers working on the project and I believe they checked out some files over the weekend to work on them.

I also did a backup of my hard drive over the weekend. I don't know if the backup would have caused any problems.

I'm not sure what to do at this point so I can resume working on the project.

SourceOffSite GUI version: 4.1.2

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:41 am

It could be that the timestamp on the file in the working directory is different than the time the file was retrieved.
This person here may have the same issue: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... s+renegade

To get started, you may wish to clear the cache and get the files again. Here are details on how to do that: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1059

PianoPlayer

Post by PianoPlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:27 am

I closed SOS GUI.
I renamed the .SOS as suggested.
Restarted Visual Studio.
Ran Check Out For Edit.
When done all the files still had + beside them.
I ran Get Latest. Then I got this error:

Your source control plug-in caused an exception or reported a fatal error.
Source control integration will be disabled until Microsoft Visual Studio is restarted or you change your source control plug-in selection.

All files now have lock icon.
Closed Visual Studio.
Started Visual Studio.
All project files have +'s.
Ran Check Out For Edit. Got the error:
"None of the items in the selection are valid for this operation."

Any other suggestions?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:41 am

Did you manually check the files back in? As far as the lock appearing, I've heard of that happening after an error in Visual Studio, and you just need to perform a refresh.

PianoPlayer

Post by PianoPlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:10 pm

I ran a check-in and and then a check-out.
The files show the check mark beside them so I figured everything was OK and I started editing my source files.

However, I ran into another strange issue. When I run the VS compiler it gives me errors on some VB Import statements in a file I created last week on maybe Wed or Thu:

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Warning 17 Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'System.Data' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\TDF\Inetpub\wwwroot\TDF\App_Code\VBCode\TDF_TheatersXfr.vb 2 9 C:\...\TDF\

Of course, there are about 60+ other errors since the System.Data and System.Data.SqlClient namespaces were not imported.

I did not have these errors last week.

OK That's not a SOS error, however...

I thought I'd exclude the file from my project since I don't need it for the main application. When I select Exclude From Project I get an warning\error message about renaming files unless the file is checked into source code control.

I clicked on "Check In Now" for TDF_TheatersXfr.* and the Pending Checkins window is displayed with a list of all the project files to be checked in. But the Check In Now function doesn't appear to do anything since the file I want to check in still has the checkmark beside it and not the lock icon.

Very odd.

Ed

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:48 pm

Do you have any errors associated with that attempted check in? You might be able to see an error if you open the Output window in VS (View-Output). Another option for checking to see what errors are being generated is to enable a higher level of loggin in SOS: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... se+logging\
Method logging is helpful there as well.

PianoPlayer

Post by PianoPlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:53 pm

Still more problems.

I closed Visual Studio.
I opened Visual Studio.
I do Open\Web Site...
Visual Studo appears to work for awhile then a "Get" window is displayed.
I click on OK and again Vs apepars to do some work.
Then the following error is displayed:

"Your source control plug-in caused an exception or reported a fatal error.
Source control integration will be disabled until Microsoft Visual Studio is restarted or you change your source control plug-in selection."

Ed

PianoPlayer

Verbose logging & Connection Problems

Post by PianoPlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:07 pm

I asked the admin tech guy to change logging to verbose level and set method = 1. This was done about one hour ago.

Connection problem:

When I run the SOS client GUI:

I get the login dialog box.
I key in the password and click on OK.
In the SOS status box I see:
Connecting to <our server>
Server sending 128 challenge.
Using 128 bit encryption...
Loggging in...

The app hangs at this point.

PianoPlayer

Reboot Doesn't Help

Post by PianoPlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:31 pm

I rebooted my computer.

I then ran SOS client GUI and successfully logged into server.

I started VS.

VS worked for awhile.

VS displayed Get dialog.

I clicked on OK, and then got the same error as before:

"Your source control plug-in caused an exception or reported a fatal error.
Source control integration will be disabled until Microsoft Visual Studio is restarted or you change your source control plug-in selection."

Then if attempt to go back to client app the client doesn't refresh it's app window.

I Ended the SOS client app.

I restarted SOS client app.

Then I'm back to the "Logging in..." hang.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:35 pm

You can send a log to either the private mail here or to beth at sourcegear.com and just reference this post so I know who it belongs to.

Are you using the SOS client with cryptography? Are you internal to the LAN that the SOS server is on? When you say VS works for a while, do you mean that you can perform source control operations for a while? There is the chance that you could be losing your connection intermittently, and a persistant connection is required for SourceOffSite.

Thanks