SOS 3.5.3 - Client Terminates;Socket Read Failed Error MSG

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

SOS 3.5.3 - Client Terminates;Socket Read Failed Error MSG

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:04 pm

Linda,

I started seeing this error message posted in the log file after adding a VSS library to the SOS database list - added 1 to the list of 20 entries that currently exist. During the same GUI session, I made several updates to the SOS database list on existing entries specifically in the alias prompt. After recycling the SOS service, the client would do the initial connect, but when the userid and password was entered Windows would post a windows error message "this application encountered a problem & will be shutdown".. The SOS log would have the "socket read failed" messages posted.

I removed the new entry from the database list and the client continued to crash; reinstalled the client - no help. Once the problem started, other workstation client's would also crash. Before attempting a restore of the server or reinstall of the SOS server component, I removed all the database entries from SOS and then re-added them back. After doing so, it resolved the problem...clients could connect & work.

Does this sound like the SOS settings file was somewhat corrupted around the database & alias definitions are located and that removing & re-adding the definitions cleared the bug in the database list. I didn't see any invalid CRLF characters or such.

My problem seems to be resolved and I wanted to pass this along if someone else may encounter this situation. I looked through the forum and saw information that possible socket errors could be network related but before a network resource was pulled in to research, the library definitions were re-entered.

Thanks.
Joey Lee
CSC

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:12 am

Does this sound like the SOS settings file was somewhat corrupted
It's quite possible, since re-entering the info fixed the problem. We often get "socket read" errors, though not often in conjunction with a client crash.

Thanks for the information. We'll add it to our "bag of tricks" to help users in the future.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

short1uk

Post by short1uk » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:40 am

Just experienced this myself,

is there a fix for this problem

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:08 pm

I would need more details. A socket error would lead me to believe it's a network issue initially. I thought you had a problem with Visual Studio integration going on? Can you send me a log file with?