SOS 4.1.2 and Vs.NET Team Developer 2005

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:25 am

Answering your questions

1. I was doing a 'get from source control' when I got the first asert, not a get latest

2. Sorry cannot remeber if the line number was the same, but I think the class was the same

3. No I did not checkout first, I had expepct it to be done automatically (I have the IDE set to prompt before check out)

We have seen the same/similar problems on 4 PCs, basically aserts when getting latest or checkout, if we use the new DLL, just messages that source control is disabled if we used the 4.1.2 shipping version

I am not suprised that the server log shows nothing, I think this is an in memory error on the client. I don't think the client gets as far requesting anything from the server, it seems the IDE/SOS link fails long before that

I can confirm that the same PCs running VS2003 to the same SOS server seem to have no problems

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:48 am

Can you perform the following steps and let me know the outcome?

Clear out your working folder for this project. From within VS, select File, Source Control, Open From Source Control. Log into SOS and select the project that you have been having problems with from the project tree when this dialog appears.

Thanks.

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:43 pm

OK this is the process I followed
1. deleted working folders (all projects were in a single parent)
2. Opne vs2005 File, source control, open from source control
3. SOS server dialog appears, click OK
4. Get SOS login - pick the right DB and UID
5. Browse to the project folder in SOS containing the solution, and select
6. It tells me it is creating the solution project directory
7. Starts the download of 7 projects
8. Got the message shown in image1, followed by the assert in image2
9. Pressed retry and got the message about source control being disabled then the error in image3
10. Even though source control had failed I had 7 projects with what looked to be the right files, But it does not build with errors that seem to mostly down to files being read only, and I cannot do source control operations
11. I unload VS2005 and reloaded, then loaded the SLN from the local disk
12. No source control errors and I can check in and out
13. The solution builds after I took a readonly flag on a PDB file in a bin directory

This is basically what we have been seeing all along, large get lastest fail, but day to day check in and out tends to be OK
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 14956 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 14956 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 14956 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 am

This may not specifically be a Visual Studio issue, but a general "Get latest" issue.

It might be helpful to get a copy of the server log in Verbose mode, with Method logging enabled:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

Reproduce the error(s), then send me a copy of the log.txt file from the SOS Server directory.

Just as a test, and using a different working directory, can you do the same get with the SOS GUI Client?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rfennell

Next test

Post by rfennell » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:01 am

Sorry it took a while to do this test. I followed the same procedure (deleted working DIR and got from SOS in VS.NET)

I set the general log to be verbose (level 4) and enabled method (level 1)

I got the following error (screen shot) and at the same time we had log error

04/07/2006 14:55:11 - 8: Exception: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
04/07/2006 14:55:11 - 8: Error processing client request: at ClassicService.ServerException..ctor(Int32 id, String data)

Hope this helps
Attachments
Image1.gif
Image1.gif (18.8 KiB) Viewed 14868 times
log.zip
(59.41 KiB) Downloaded 894 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks for the details and the log file.

Did you attempt to perform the "get latest" command from within the GUI Client instead of the IDE as Linda suggested? If so, what was the outcome?

Thanks,

Tonya

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Sorry should have said, the GUI client worked fine, we have the project in its own sourcesafe DB, so a project get latest is in effect a recursive get latest for the whole DB.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 am

I wanted to let you know that we are currently working on this issue. We have a developer that is trying to reproduce the error message and as soon as I have some additional information for you, I will let you know.

Thanks for your patience!

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:02 am

I have attached a new copy of the SosScc.dll file. Could you please download this version and replace any of the SosScc.dll files found on any of your machines? Please make sure that you close any IDE's that are open before applying the new file.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks,

Tonya
Attachments
SosScc.zip
(617 KiB) Downloaded 871 times

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:35 pm

I have tried the file on my PC from a remote site (over Internet). I first checked I only had the one copy of the DLL on my PC, and that it was successfully replaced before loaded the IDE

I still got attached error, as I am at home I cannot check the server log until tomorrow
Attachments
Image1.gif
Image1.gif (18.57 KiB) Viewed 14686 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:35 pm

Don't worry about the log file, I have something else that I would like for you to try.

Could you please delete your SOS cache file?

1. Exit the SOS or Visual Studio.

2. Locate the SOS Client "Servers" folder, which can be found in:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data \SourceGear\SOS on the SOS Client machine

In the Servers folder, there should be one or more folders named after VSS databases that the Client has connected to since installation.

These folders contain cache file(s) called '<databaseX>.sos' from which the client machine retrieves the file list information.

3. In the folder named after the VSS database with which you are experiencing this problem, make a backup copy of the '<databaseX>.sos' file and then delete the file. Next time you connect to the database from the Client, a new '<databaseX>.sos' file will be created.

Please note that deleting the '<databaseX>.sos' file will force the SOS Client to retrieve the project tree afresh next time you connect to the SOS Server. Therefore, it might take some time. You would also have to reset all working folders. Can you please recreate the project tree using the SOS GUI Client? This will need to be done on each machine.

Once you are finished, please verify if you still receive the error message?

Thank you for your patience.

Tonya

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:50 pm

That seems to have got it.

We have a single SourceOffSite server with three DBs behind it. So I deleted all three .SOS file.

I connected the SOS client to the server and to the DB we have been using for all the tests, it pulled the tree down in a few seconds (as expected) and I got a new .SOS file.

I set the working directory for the root object (we just use default from this for all the others) and exited the SOS client.

I loaded VS2005 and did a get from source control and the solution with all 7 projects came down without an error. This took a few minutes again as expected

I think we have a working solution - thank you :D

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:04 am

We have installed this on three PCs now and have not seen any problems

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:14 am

Great! I'm glad to hear that SOS is working correctly for you now. Please let me know if the problem reoccurs.

Thank you for your patience and effort!

Tonya