unable to perform an automatic merge due to conflicts ?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tailslide

unable to perform an automatic merge due to conflicts ?

Post by Tailslide » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:03 pm

I am running source safe over the LAN via the standard source safe plugin. My coworker is running over VPN using source offsite.

When we have a conflict that automatic merge cannot handle, I get a nice window that pops up to resolve the conflict. When my coworker has a conflict that automatic merge cannot handle he gets this message:

--
check in failed for file: $/blah

The server was unable to perform an automatic merge due to conflicts.

WARNING: The next Check In operation performed on this file will overwrite the latest copy in VSS even if conflicts are not resolved.
--

Then, he has no interface for resolving the conflict and he winds up overwriting my changes!

Help !!

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:16 am

We had another SOS user that experienced the same merge issue that you are reporting. Here are the details in how it was resolved:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... ormed+file

Please let me know if this doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:19 am

SOS merge behavior depends on the version. SOS 4.1.2 ships with a diff/merge tool (located in the same directory as the SOS 4.1.2 client.) If the user has SOS 4.1.2, make sure SGDiffMerge is configured in the SOS GUI Client under Tool->Options->External Programs.

If the user has SOS 3.5.x, then a third party diff/merge program must be configured in Tool->Options->External Programs. With SOS 3.5.3, once the user gets this warning:
WARNING: The next Check In operation performed on this file will overwrite the latest copy in VSS even if conflicts are not resolved.
they should resolve any merge issues manually or with the third-party tool before attempting checkin.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Tailslide

Post by Tailslide » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks for your suggestions, we're persuing lbauer's suggestion first.

The user says SGDiffMerge is not configured under Tool->Options->External Programs, how does he set this?

Also we are using this under visual studio 2005, don't know if that makes any difference.

Greg

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:23 pm

You can configure this option from within VS 2005 by selecting Tools - Options - Source Control - Plug-in Settings and selecting the Advanced button. Once the SOS Options dialog appears, select the External Programs tab and you can specify the application you would like to use to compare files and merge files with.

Thanks,

Tonya

Tailslide

Post by Tailslide » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:03 pm

Thanks! I think this worked. We'll know for sure next time we have a conflict.

Greg