SOS w/ VSS6.0 Microsoft Report Sender Trigger Problem

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jyoung

SOS w/ VSS6.0 Microsoft Report Sender Trigger Problem

Post by Jyoung » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:44 pm

Greetings:

I've just installed SOS in attempt to work with the VSS6.0 server halfway across the country. I've got an account on the SOS server over there, and can log in as far as selecting a database, whereupon I immediately get the error message:

"SourceOffSite Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

along with the 'Go tell Microsoft' box.

The error signature says:

AppName: sos.exe AppVer: 3.5.3.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 0000b2ab

and the program closes immediately after. This problem occurs with SOS 4.0 as well, so it's not the version, near as I can tell.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:03 am

What OS is the client running on?

Can you try installing the SOS client on a different machine? Does the client crash?

Are there other SOS users accessing the SOS Server? Do they experience the same type of crash?

Is the SOS server crashing? Can you re-launch the client and immediately connect again or does the SOS Server need to be restarted?

Does the client crash when you connect to our demo server at sos.sourceoffsite.com:8888? Log in as user - bugs, password - bunny.

In the SOS Server Manager under the General tab, verify there is no checkmark in Idle Connections. If this is checked, the SOS Server may crash.

If you continue to experience difficulty, please set the SOS Server log file to debug:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

and send me a copy of the log after you've reproduced the crash. Be sure to indicate the time in the log where the crash occurred.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Jyoung

Post by Jyoung » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:26 am

Linda:

I'm running a PC under Windows XP Professional.

The problem's something between my client and the server, which doesn't crash when I connect to it -- it's just my client crashing.

I can connect to the demo server just fine, which means that it's something on the server side that needs to be changed -- I forwarded your reply to the server folks. Will keep you posted: thanks for all your help.

-Jeff

Jyoung

Post by Jyoung » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:24 pm

Update:

The server admin says that the checkbox is off, and furthermore one of our engineers says he can log in as me from his remote box with no problem. I can't log in as him though from my machine, so that says it's something with the installation of my SOS client, that is required for the database in Alabama, but isn't required for the test database. The engineer thinks it's Visual Studio that's the problem....

-Jeff

Jyoung

Resolution! (Sort of.)

Post by Jyoung » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:39 pm

Okay. We tracked down the problem to my machine, and I installed SourceSafe and SOS on an older Windows2000 Professional machine, and everything worked.

I then discovered that I'd installed SOS 4.0 Professional instead of SOS Standard, went back to my main workstation, and uninstalled SOS Standard 4.0 and 3.5.3 Classic, installed 4.0 Professional instead, and it worked like a charm. The difference is amazing.

So the problem seems to lie in incompatibilities 'twixt WinXP Professional and SOS 3.5.3/4.0 Standard, near as we can tell on this end.

I've got things working now and I'm happy, so you can close this bug, but I'm leaving this note in case anyone else runs into the problem.

-Jeff

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:02 pm

We'd be interested in reproducing this here so if there's a bug, we can fix it. You were using an SOS 4.0 Standard Client on WinXP. What version of the SOS Server were you connecting to?

Were you trying to connect on the secure port or the unsecure port? I'm wondering if there's a problem with SOS 4.0 Standard trying to connect to a secure port without encryption.

Thanks.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Jyoung

Post by Jyoung » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:38 am

Hiya --

According to our server person, the answer is:
SourceOffSite Version: 3.5.3
SourceOffSite Edition: With Cryptography

...so it looks like what was happening was I was trying to connect to it with 3.5.3 Classic (unencrypted?) and 4.0 Standard (also unencrypted).

Note that both the non-working and working versions of 4.0 only ever ask me for one port, rather than the Collaborative Edition, which asks for two (secure and nonsecure?)

Hope this helps...
-Jeff