SOS 4.1.2 and Vs.NET Team Developer 2005

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rfennell

SOS 4.1.2 and Vs.NET Team Developer 2005

Post by rfennell » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:47 am

We have been seeing the fatel error problems listed in http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6184 and applied the new DLL, but I still seem to be getting the same problem.

We have solution in VS.NEt 2005 6 C# projects
1x Web Site
1x Web Service
3x Class Libraries
1x Test Project

If you add a project or even a file and....
1. If you go a get latest in the IDE we get the fatel error.
2. If you get latest in SOS then load the IDE you usually still get the error (not always)

Errors are usually following with messages about disabling SCC or Assert errors in C++ code

The best option appears to be a complete delete of the solution files and a get from source control as in http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6117

Can you suggest any other things to try, SOS has been seamless and hence great for us in the past but on this project with 5 developers it is proving problematic with all the directory wipes whenever a file is added.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:22 am

The first suggestion is to perform a search for this file (SosScc.dll) and confirm that no others exists.

Make sure you're opening the web projects the proper way -- the correct way to open a web project from source control is by selecting File - Open - Web Site - Source Control - Select Source Control Project - then your SOS connection dialogs will begin to appear.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rfennell

Follow up

Post by rfennell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 am

I have checked and the only SosScc.dll I have is the 1.6Mb one shipped in the patch. This is in the C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite directory as you would expect

I agree that loading using the 'load from source control' gets round the problem (if the patch is on a PC, it it is not using the SOS exe seems the best options after a target directory delete).

However, this does not get away from the fact that multi projects in a solution for multiple developers worked for SOS 4.1.2 and VS2003.

I would expect a developer to be able to load a solution from the recent solutions list and then do a recursive 'get latest' in the IDE, and it not to crash if another developer has added a file or project.

Any suggests how to progress this? Are others still having the problem after using the patch? Is there a new version of SOS on the way?

rfennell

Server though

Post by rfennell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:59 am

Should the patched DLL also be applied on the server?

I have only put it on the clients thus far

rfennell

More details

Post by rfennell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:44 pm

Today we added a new project to the solution. I got all the latest files using SOS, then loaded VS2005.

I got the attached error, don't know if this sheds any light[/img]
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Screen shot
Image1.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 15852 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:17 pm

I got all the latest files using SOS, then loaded VS2005.
This could be part of the problem. If there's a new project in source control, the proper way to open it is through File->Source Control->Open from Source Control. Or if it's a web project, File->Open->Web Site.

Mixing use of the SOS GUI Client and the IDE client can cause unexpected results.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rfennell

But what if someelse added the project

Post by rfennell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:57 am

I understand that get from source control is the right way. However we see most problems when we have the following senario:

User A and B both have identical solutions, both build are using SOS via the IDE and everything is checked in
User A adds a new project to solution, all is OK and check it in (adds it)
User B loads the solution from their local disk copy
User B does a get latest recursive in IDE 0 and sees the errors

Are you saying that user B should always load the solution using get from source control - never using the local copy they had previously and updating it.

if this is the case then this is not a way we had to work with SOS 4.1.2 and VS2003

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:35 pm

You are correct, you should be able to perform a recursive "get latest" and obtain the new project without opening it from source control every time.

I have attempted to reproduce the error message that you are receiving without any luck. Could you tell me if the project added was a web project? Is this typical behavior or do other solutions work appropriately?

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:57 pm

I have seen the problem when adding both class libraries and web (web service) projects. Mostly it has been class libaries.

I will try to build a sample that shows the problem as well. is there any logging or tracing I can do at my end?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:12 pm

Enabling the Vault IDE logging may be useful:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... e+loggingo

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:22 pm

we are running SOS not vault, is this SCCLogFileName key meant to work for SOS as well.

I tried adding it to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceOffSite\SourceOffSite but it does not seem to be create the log file

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:17 pm

Sorry, you are correct. It does not work with SOS! :oops:

But it could have been very useful!

Sending your SourceOffSite log file (log.txt) would be helpful. It's located on the machine where the SOS server resides.

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:47 am

We have moved our current project from our old SS DB to a new (small) one and set this up to be accessed via SOS.

We still seem to be having problems (though less than we had before) with VS2005

All users are using the patched DLL.

This is what has just happened
1. Open VS.NET
2. Do get from source control (approx 17:31pm)
3. Login to SOS server and point to new SS DB
4. Pick the directory with the SLN file, let it come down
5. My vs.net crashed with a debug assert error (sorry I did not record the exact details)
6. VS.NET auto restarted.
7. I loaded the project via the SLN file - opened ok and in th eprocess checked SOS
8. Built the projects all OK
9. Tried to edit a csproj file and get a assert error shown

I have attached the the screenshot of the error and the server log
Attachments
Image1.jpg
second error seen
Image1.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
log.txt
Serve log file, my IP address is .164
(369.09 KiB) Downloaded 874 times

rfennell

Post by rfennell » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:51 am

Another bit of info, we have noticed that even though we have refresh file list set to 5 minutes in SOS client and inside the IDE we do not seem to have up to date file listings unless we manual do a refresh.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:12 am

2. Do get from source control (approx 17:31pm)
Are you performing a "get latest" or an open from source control?
My vs.net crashed with a debug assert error (sorry I did not record the exact details)
Is this the same debug assert error that you copied above?
9. Tried to edit a csproj file and get a assert error shown
Did you check the file out first?

Unfortunately, the SOS log file didn't display any pertinent information. Do all users experience this same error message? Can you successfuly open other projects?