Help! Import creates wrong key file.

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rtinker

Help! Import creates wrong key file.

Post by rtinker » Tue May 30, 2006 7:20 am

Help!

The name of our SOS server changed - no big deal, just generate new keys right?

The server name was X and now it is Y. We created new iky files specifying Y as the server name. Under options in server manager, the server name and IP address fields are blank, so that should not be conflicting. The real hostname of the server is Z so that is not involved at all.

We create the iky file and if I open it up I see the server name is Y, yet when I import from this file, it is creating an X.key file! When I try to connect to server Y it says it cannot find Y.key. If I rename the X.key file to Y.key, or try using X as the server name, then it says invalid encryption key.

I searched the registry including the SOS registry area and confirmed that the name X is nowhere in it, and yet when I import the iky file it keeps coming back!

Any ideas what is going wrong? Does the hex data in the iky file contain the old X server name (meaning SOS server is doing this) or is it the client doing this when the iky file is imported?

Thanks

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 pm

It's possible that old keys were not overwritten. Try again. first, delete the sossvr.kys file and any .iky files in the SOS Server directory. On the client side, delete any .iky and <servername>.key files.

Then recreate the user keys (.iky file) and import them into the client again.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager