lost working directory

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Muzza

lost working directory

Post by Muzza » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:51 am

On occasion, I "lose" the working directory. I am connected to the SOS server over a certified VPN connection. I have the keep-alive ping active. Whenever I "set working directory", as CTRL-F5 does not refresh it, the status of all the files in the root directory of that project changes to Missing. The sub-directories are all ok. I have to execute Get Latest Version on that directory to restore them. What is causing this and how can I prevent it? I do not have to establish the VPN connection in case it is thought that had gone down.

Muzza

version number

Post by Muzza » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:11 am

The version number I am using is 4.1

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:03 pm

Is your working directory on you machine or on a network drive?

Are your working folders actually disappearing from your drive, or is the work folder information missing in the SOS GUI Client?

If it's missing in the GUI client, there may be a problem with the client-side cache file. This is called databaseX.sos and is located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\<servername>

Something may be affecting this file, but it's not clear what.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Muzza

Post by Muzza » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:18 am

The working directory is on the local drive. I lose the working folder from the SOS GUI Client. It happens both on my desktop PC and laptop. I only use my laptop when I am on our client's site and then I don't have automatic ping to the server. On my desktop, I do. I have looked in the file but I really have no idea what to be looking for. It happens quite frequently to be classified as frustrating.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Here's the contents of a cache file from a database with one folder:

Code: Select all

$$$Version 3.0$$$
$/NewFolder
$/

NewFolder
C:\_SOS
The folder is "NewFolder" and the working directory is C:\_SOS on my machine.

You might make a backup of your databaseX.sos file when things are working properly and compare it to the cache file when you've lost your working folders in the GUI Client. Is the working folder information missing in the cache file?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Muzza

Post by Muzza » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:48 pm

Yes, the working information is missing from the file. I could almost get it happen at will. I replaced the cache file with one I know worked properly, opened the client GUI, and then opened the project. I saw the status of the project file went to missing and the working directory became blank. I closed everything down, checked the cache file and saw that the working directory was now blank and the version history and size of the vbp was missing also.

adam

Post by adam » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:36 am

I have this problem as well. I'm using SOS 4.1.2 for Linux. WD information gets written to the database file, but when I reconnect (eg after restarting GUI client), the WD is unset.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:37 am

What specific Linux "flavor" are you using, and which version? Did you use one of our builds or build a client yourself?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

adam

Post by adam » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:06 am

lbauer wrote:What specific Linux "flavor" are you using, and which version? Did you use one of our builds or build a client yourself?
I'm using Gentoo Linux, and built the client from source.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:21 am

Is the file being re-created each time the client logs in? Could something be deleting the database1.sos file?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

adam

Post by adam » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:51 am

Nothing is deleting the file. I have been monitoring it while stopping and starting the client. It is possible that the client simply overwrites the file each time it starts, ignoring changes. In any case, the file is definitely written to when the client starts. But as far as I can see, all that happens is that the working directory is removed.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, database1.sos also loses information on files existing in my working directory (as would be expected). It seems more and more likely that a default file is written every time I start (and connect to tyhe deafult repository) the client.

A colleague using the MacOS-X client to connect to the same repository is not experiencing these symtpoms.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:57 pm

One possibility:

Check the ownership of the databaseX.sos file. If you installed the SOS Client as Root, for instance, Root owns that file. Tthen when you use the SOS Client while logged in to the machine as Adam, your account may not have permission to overwrite the file, so SOS creates a new one.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

adam

Post by adam » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:20 am

No, this is not the case. database1.sos is in the ~/.sos directory, which is owned by whoever runs the client (since it is created when you run the client for the first time). In this case, me :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:02 am

We will need to try to reproduce the problem here, with your build of the Unix Client.

Could you ftp a copy to ftp.sourcegear.com? Send me an email with the file name when it's done.

My email address is Linda at SourceGear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ethomson

Post by ethomson » Tue May 09, 2006 10:18 am

Hi Adam-

I took a look at the binary you sent us. We don't have any workstations running Gentoo, but the shared library versions match up with Ubuntu (Dapper.) Testing with your binary, we were unable to reproduce this problem.

SOS writes the databases file, which contains the working folder mappings, only when you disconnect from a server (when you exit or when you connect to a different server.) It's possible that the client is crashing when you exit before writing the updated database file.

You mentioned that it appears that SOS is rewriting the file with a default at startup -- can you confirm that the working folder mappings are ever saved? ~/.sos/servers/hostname/database1.sos should contain working folder mappings, you should be able to grep for your working folder mapping in that file.

Try that after exiting the client to see if it's ever written. If not, you may want to try to reconnect to a different server while the client is running to force it to write that file. Try looking in that file after that, also, to see if the working folder mappings are ever getting written.

-Ed
SourceGear