Error Message Received: Operation Failed!

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kevinrhunt

Error Message Received: Operation Failed!

Post by kevinrhunt » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:47 am

hello, I'm trying to log into SOS Classic Server Ver. 3.5.3 w/cryptography running on Windows XP and I get past the Username/password dialog and it displays the tree of projects, says Updating List $/mydirectory and then Operation Failed-$/mydirectory.

When I look at the log file from the server I get the following information:
- Connection Established
- "MyUserName" connected to database: G:\OurPathToSourceSafe\srcsafe.ini
- Begin Get File List Operation: $/
- Thread Thread-2 is now the alpha thread
- Getting version information
- com/ms/com/CUnknown

Any help is greatly appreciated, we can't use Source Offsite in its present state.

Thanks
Kevin

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:16 am

Is this a new problem? Do all users have problems logging in?

Did the SOS Server work properly before? If so, has something changed on the SOS Server machine?

There may be a problem with the SourceSafe Automation Component on the SOS Server machine.

I'd like to take a look at the full log.txt file. Could you email it to Linda at SourceGear.com? Be sure to include a link to this forum posting.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:10 pm

Kevin emailed a screenshot of the SOS Server Manager->System Info tab.

The SOS Server for 3.5.3 had two different versions, one for use with VSS 5 and one for VSS 6, since the automation component is different for the two VSS versions.

The version of SOS Server that you have installed was designed to work with VSS 5.0. However, your VSS Client on the Server machine is 6.0.

Uninstall the SOS Server. You may already have an SOS Server installer for VSS 6 in the download bundle for 3.5.3. If not, download it again and use the installer for sos_server_winnt_professional_vss6.exe.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager