Two annoyances in Diff tool

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Kenn

Two annoyances in Diff tool

Post by Kenn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:04 am

SourceGear DiffMerge 1.1.0 (185)

The first one is easy: Hitting Escape should close the a DiffMerge window.

The second is a bit more involved.

Check out a file of, say, 100 lines and add, say, 5 lines to the start of the file and 5 lines to the end of the file. Right-click the file in SOS file list pane and Show Differences. DiffMerge shows you the first difference, as expected.

Now hit F7 to jump to the second difference. The new lines are hidden below the bottom of the right-hand pane. The only way to see them is to scroll down with the mouse, or click in the right pane to give it focus and use page-down or cursor-down.

I'm a keyboard-lover, and it bugs me everytime I need to review a change that ends up at the bottom of the file.

One possible workaround is to implement F6, for example, to switch panes. Better still would be a bit of smartness in the scrolling code so that if the left pane is scrolled to the end and there is still a "hidden" change in the right pane, try and show as much of the new text as possible.

Later,
Kenn

Kenn

Post by Kenn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:43 am

I just discovered that Ctrl-TAB switches focus between panes.

And also Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down do the same as F7 and Shift-F7.

I couldn't find any mention of these in the help files. Are the keyboard shortcuts for DiffMerge listed in full anywhere?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 am

Are the keyboard shortcuts for DiffMerge listed in full anywhere?
Sorry, no.

Thanks for the suggestions and bug report. I'll log them to our bug/features database along with the suggestion to document the Diff/Merge shortcuts.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager