Slow "Get Latest Version" action

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nt

Slow "Get Latest Version" action

Post by nt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:46 am

Tell please what can be the reason of slow "Get Latest Version" action for large projects. For example - I can successfully connect to VSS database through SOS client and when I do "Get Latest Version" for small project I have fast speed, but when I try to do "Get Latest Version" for large project which has a lot of files and a lot of nesting directories SOS client becomes stuck on stage Received file list. I click "Stop current operation" button, but processor, on computer where SOS server is installed, is still loaded by sosservice.exe and service should be manually restarted.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:59 am

We could use more information. What version of SOS client and server are you using?

What version of VSS is installed on the SOS Server machine? How t find out: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510

How many folders/files are in your large Get? Do folders have a great many files in each folder?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

nt

Post by nt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 am

SOS client 4.1.2
SOS server 4.1.2

VSS on SOS server machine 6.0.31222.0

421 folder and 6297 files at all.

But it looks like the issue is not in large amount of files and folders, but in history for this project (since beginning of 2003 year). Can it be so? Because I've just added the same large project into VSS and Get works faster and Get doesn't hang on stage Received file list.

BTW: VSS database is 2.5 Gb (there are a lot of other projects). And analyze utility shows no errors.

nt

Post by nt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:16 am

It's unbelievable - I've just install ssapi.dll 6.0.81.69 and I resolved issue SOS client becomes faster as it was before.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:31 pm

That's interesting. We've had reports from users who have switched versions of VSS on the SOS Server machine and gotten better results. Thus far, though, we haven't identified the "best" version of VSS for SOS. Some versions support certain features better than others -- it depends on what works with your database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager