Get from history in 4.0 fails - worked in 3.5.3

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rflloyd

Get from history in 4.0 fails - worked in 3.5.3

Post by rflloyd » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:17 pm

We just upgraded from SOS3.5.3 to 4.0. We view the history, select a build, then do a get. This used to work fine in Client 3.5.3, but in Client 4.0, we get an error that says "No Working Directory set", even though it looks like the directory is set. This then brings upo the working directory dialog. If you set it and try again, you get the same error.

corey

Post by corey » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:35 pm

Are you using the release version of the 4.0 Client, or one of the previews? We had a bug report similiar to this during the 4.0 preview, but it was fixed in the final release. If you view the properties of the Client executable, what does Windows show for the complete version number?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rflloyd

Post by rflloyd » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:48 pm

corey

Post by corey » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:49 am

Does this error occur on just one project or label? Are you able to get other projects through history?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rflloyd

Post by rflloyd » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:21 am

No. As far as I can tell, we cannot get any source through history. The only identified workaround has been to go back to 3.5.3.

corey

Post by corey » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:31 am

Did you try the 3.5 Client against the 4.0 Server? I'm guessing your problem is client-side, but that would be a good test.

Also, could you possibly archive off one of your project nodes and email it to me for testing here?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

rflloyd

Post by rflloyd » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:29 pm

I just found out that the server version we're running is 3.5.2. Is this a problem?

One update: This is only a problem when you attempt to get the contents of a directory. Getting a single file works fine.

corey

Post by corey » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:19 am

I don't think using the 3.5 Server with the 4.0 Client should be the cause of this problem, but to be sure, could you install a demo 4.0 Server as a test?

Also, when you are attempting to get projects by a label, was the label applied to the project itself or to a parent?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:45 pm

Switching the server might be difficult, since this is in another division with many users uses this. But I'll try.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second question. If you're asking how we select the label of the version to get, we go to any projecect in the left panel of the IDE, we right click on it and select "Show History...", click OK on the next dialog (Project History Options) after clicking recursive, then click the labeled version we want. then press the "Get" button. This fails whether the project selected has children or not.

If you're asking how we labelled the projects, I believe that all projects were labeled at once during our build, but again this is managed at a different division, so I'll have to ask if this is what you mean.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:49 am

You don't need to completely switch servers. The 4.0 Server can co-exist with the 3.5 Server, so you can install the 4.0 Server as a demo and leave the 3.5 Server running for the other users.

As far as my other question... let's say you want to get an historical version of the project $/A/B, using the label "test". Since labels are applied recusively, "test" may have been applied directory to $/A/B, or it may have been applied to $/ or $/A. I was wondering if the labels you are trying to get were applied directly on the project you are selecting or were applied to a parent of the project?

corey

Post by corey » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:37 pm

One more question: are you only seeing this problem when using the SOS IDE Client? If you use the SOS Windows GUI Client, are you able to get the labels in history that way?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

tomas

not getting labels

Post by tomas » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:35 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem with the same setup. Server is 3.5.x and the client is 4.0. It happens with windows GUI and also with unix command line. Clc response with "Error: Server response = 401 NoSuchFileOrProject"

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:16 pm

I was able to replicate the "no working directory" error that rflloyd got when getting by label with a 4.0 client against a 3.5.3 server.

When I used an SOS 4.0 server and client, the get by label worked.

For this particular operation, there appears to be some incompatibility between the versions. You can verify this by installing the SOS 4.0 server and trying the operation using that server. (SOS 4.0 can be installed on the same machine as 3.5.3.)

While SOS 4.0 clients can connect to SOS 3.5.3 servers for most of the basic operations, we don't guarantee 100% compatibility. There's no real advantage in using a 4.0 client with an SOS 3.5.3 server unless your organization will be upgrading soon. Most of the new features and bug fixes for 4.0 are implemented on the SOS Server side.

In making 3.5.3 somewhat compatible with 4.0, our intent was to give organizations some flexibilty in their client and server upgrade process.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

tomas

Post by tomas » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:29 pm

I have no problem to rolling back to 3.5 on windows but the old linux client doesn't work on rh9 because the library incompatablities. It would be nice if you will release old linux client compiled with new libraries.
Unfortunatelly changing server is in most cases a decision not taken by client users.
Thanks.

balcanuc

same problem, no viable solution

Post by balcanuc » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:10 am

I have same problem and I'm not in position to upgrade SOS server. So, the only possibility is to downgrade to Client SOS 3.5.3? This is the only solution that SourceGear can provide? :shock:

Cristi