Connection forcibly closed by remote host

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rcooper

Connection forcibly closed by remote host

Post by rcooper » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:59 am

Hi, I've recently installed SOS v4.1.2 client/server and have got the system working but have noticed that frequently the client hangs when doing simple operations like Get Latest or Check In/Out. Having checked the server log, the following message always occurs before or after the hang

Send failed: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
20/12/2005 14:51:28 - 6: Exception: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

If I close the client and re-open it, sometimes it will start working again, but then will suddenly exhibit the above behaviour. I would be grateful for any ideas on solving this very annoying problem.

Cheers

Rob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:32 pm

The message in the log means that, from the server's perspective, the client closed the connection. This can occur if there's a flaky network connection or if a firewall or other device is closing the connection after a certain period of time or after a certain amount of data has passed.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rcooper

Post by rcooper » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:31 am

Thanks for the comment. I'm still a bit confused by it - I operate the client over a VPN connection and use Zone Alarm Pro as a firewall on the client machine. I've tried disabling the firewall and have disabled the Windows default firewall on both client and server, but the error still occurs. The VPN connection seems stable enough and I haven't noticed a problem with it as such, so I'm still not sure what the problem could be. It does seem like some device or component is cutting the connection, but I can't figure out what is doing it.

Any more ideas or things to try would be great because at the moment I can't seem to check in/out much stuff without the connection lapsing and then having to start all over again. It's taking a long time to synchronize my code base with the server because I'm having to operate on a single directory at a time instead of a root directory.

rob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:35 am

Let's check your system configuration.

What version of the VSS automation component is on the SOS Server machine? Here's how to determine the version:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rcooper

Post by rcooper » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:42 am

The version of SSAPI.DLL I'm using is 6.0.98.48.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on both client and server.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:16 pm

Try changing the threading model. This version of VSS doesn't always play well with SOS.

Here's how:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=10
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rcooper

Post by rcooper » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:06 am

Linda, I've done that and it seems to have made no difference. Presumably it's not required on the client machine as well (although I will now try that as well just in case). Like you said in a previous post, as far as the server is concerned the client has closed the connection and there is no error as such. However, from the clients perspective it's waiting for the server to return with something and so waits around indefinitely - there seems to be some problem in the middle that is disturbing that client-server connection. I just can't work out what it is. The client machine is part of a wireless network at home that connects via broadband VPN to the company server. I've tried disabling the radio connection to see what happens and as expected the VPN connection is lost - I haven't managed to simulate a case of a flaky connection where the VPN connection is preserved and the SOS connection is lost - there is either a connection or there isn't.

I've checked on both the client and server for the VPN settings to ensure there is no timeouts etc and it's all come back negative.

So I'm still baffled...

rob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:40 pm

Some thoughts . . .

Is it possible to connect without the wireless connection/VPN, like through dial-up? This would help tell us if the connection itself is the issue.

Can you connect to our demo server?

sos.sourceoffsite.com 8888
user Daffy password duck

Can you telnet to the SOS Server from your machine:

telnet <servername> <port>

Is the connection allowed to pass?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rcooper

Post by rcooper » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:46 am

Happy New year to the SOS forum!

It's not going to be easy to connect to the work server without the wireless modem (although it's possible and I'm willing to try it once I've exhausted other routes), it's not possible to connect without VPN as this is the only means by which I can access the vss server.

I've tried accessing the SOS demo server as suggested in your previous post using telnet but couldn't get a connection to it - getting error message - "Could not open connection to the host on port 8888 : Connect failed". I've double-checked that this has nothing to do with my firewall. I wasn't even able to ping the sos.sourceoffsite.com ip address - it was timing out, so not sure what's going on there.

rob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:40 am

Ping must be disabled. However telnet is working and the SOS demo server is currently running, so you should be able to connect with an SOS GUI Client.

If not, there still may be something about your connection or firewall that isn't allowing the connection.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear