SourceOffSite corrupting Visio files

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

levank

SourceOffSite corrupting Visio files

Post by levank » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:43 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i could not find anything.

Most of the time when i upload Visio drawings into SourceOffSite, i cannot open them back. The error i am getting is (generated by Visio):

+++++++
An error (100) occurred during the action Open File.
Visio cannot open the file because it's not a Visio file or it has become corrupted.
+++++++

The file is usually just fine, until the moment i check it in.

The error is only displayed if i try to VIEW the file. If i CHECK OUT file for editing, it seems to be ok.

I am using SourceOffSite Classic 4.1.2 and Microsoft Visio 2003.

Thank you

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:55 am

When you view a file, SOS uses the setting in Tools->Options->External Programs->Application for viewing and editing files. If nothing is configured, SOS uses the default application for the specific extension (like Notepad for .txt files). Or, if a specific app is configured, SOS uses that.

It's possible that SOS is not making the association between Visio and files with a Visio extension. Or perhaps you have an app configured that can't open Visio files.

If you configure the path to the Visio.exe in External programs, do the files open properly?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:11 am

Linda, thank you for reply.

SOS does seem to have association set up correctly as it does open MS Visio when i double click on a file in SOS. The error message i get is displayed by Visio, not by SOS

i was wrong saying that behavior only occurs when viewing the file but not when editing. Just now i tried to check out the file and edit it and it comes up with the error again. Basically all the versions of the file i had had been replaced with the corrupt version from Visio, so file is lost

There is something in SOS that corrupts Visio 2003 files. This is not the first time it happened unfortunately. Does not seem to happen with some of the simpler Visio files, but it almost always corrupts it if Visio file is complicated

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:21 am

Have you seen corruption with any other types of files? There is a known issue with SOS and certain network hardware that results in file corruption.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bmaxwell

Post by bmaxwell » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:40 pm

I'll bet that SrcSafe isn't recognizing the visio file as a binary file all the time. Try using the SourceSafe interface (not SOS) and telling it to explicity treat the Visio filename extension as a binary file. I forget exactly where to do this -- I think it's in the SrcSafe Admin application. If you don't explicitly define a filename extension as binary, SrcSafe tries to detect it automatically by looking at the file contents. This could explain why it works for some files, but not othere.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:17 am

You can try this using the SourceSafe client installed on the SOS Server machine. SOS uses the automation component from this client and usually honors any settings make in that SourceSafe client, for SOS operations.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dsnethen

Same error message

Post by dsnethen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:46 pm

I have mulitiple Visio files on a network drive here at work. If I try to open from my network drive, I get the same error message: an error (100) occured during the action open file. visio cannot open the file because it's not a visio file or it has become corrupted.

If I copy the file and paste to my desktop, the file opens without issue. I have a similar issue with Microsoft Project .

dsnethen

Re: Same error message

Post by dsnethen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:05 pm

dsnethen wrote:I have mulitiple Visio files on a network drive here at work. If I try to open from my network drive, I get the same error message: an error (100) occured during the action open file. visio cannot open the file because it's not a visio file or it has become corrupted.

If I copy the file and paste to my desktop, the file opens without issue. I have a similar issue with Microsoft Project .
I have a similar situation with MS Project. All the above applies, except I get:

An unexpected problem occured while opening the file. The file may be damaged. Try using a backup copy.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:44 pm

There have reports of Visual SourceSafe corrupting binary files. What version of the VSS automation component is on the SOS Server machine? Here's how to find out:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510

Also, are your users using cable modems, or is there a Linksys router between the SOS client and server?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear