Invalid Password Error - Urgent

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

venky2_99

Post by venky2_99 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:43 am

1). We have a machine at Omaha which has a SOS server installed.

2). Installed the SOS server on it. This server runs as a service on
the machine.

3). Mapped the server service to the VSS server in Dallas and created
some users on it through SOS Server Manager.

4). Started the service under my Americas NT ID.

5). Installed the SOS clients on our machines.

6). SOS allowed me to get connected to the VSS; also it created its
directory structure successfully.

Problem: SOS only allows me to get connected to the Houston VSS. All
other users get invalid password error.

We also tried running server service under SYSTEM account (its default
setting). Under such conditions it is not allowing any one to get
connected.

All users get “invalid password” error.

Could you please help me resolve this issue.

For Testing we are using the Trial version from your webiste, How many users can we connect using the trial version.

Thanks
Venky

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 am

The purpose of the Users pane of the SOS Server Manager is to track licenses, not to create user accounts. Each name in the Users pane takes up a license. When there are as many users as there are licenses, no other users can log in.

VSS users are created by the VSS Admin client. Each user logging in with SOS needs a VSS username and password. SOS does not support the use of NT authentication.

So the first thing to check is whether your SOS users have VSS usernames and passwords.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

venky2_99

Post by venky2_99 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:30 am

Well VSS uses the NT auth in our company, It looks only for NT id, there is no password needed to access our VSS server.
So is there a work around to make it work.? how many users can the trial software work for.?

Thanks for your response, i appreciate it.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:06 pm

You still should be able to create usersnames and passwords in VSS that are the same as your network usernames and passwords. As I said earlier, SOS does not support NT authentication.

If you are using the demo, the SOS Server willl generate a 10-user demo serial number good for 30 days.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Invalid Passwprd Error

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:50 am

Our company policy dose nto support to set up individual users with a password on VSS server due to bandwidth issues.
So we can very much draw a conslusion that if the client is using NT auth on VSS, SOS is not the tool.
Some times setting up a user/pwd for each usr on VSS server is time consuming too, if you take an exmaple of Very big company where the number of users runs in thousands it will difficult to create users with Id/pwd.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:33 am

Since those are your network policies, we understand you have to do what's best for your company. Sorry SOS doesn't work out for you.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:30 pm

One more comment -- you wouldn't have to have VSS passwords for all VSS users -- just the ones using SOS.

Could you just try this: Assuming you have a VSS database configured in the SOS Server Manager --

Use the VSS Admin Client to connect to that specific database. Is there a list of VSS users? If so, select a user and under the Users menu, change the user's password (or give them a password).

Then restart the SOS Server and see if that VSS user can connect to SOS with the VSS username and password.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear