cmd line GetProject error 203 (SBFT2)

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

danh

cmd line GetProject error 203 (SBFT2)

Post by danh » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:25 pm

I've seen some posts here with similar errors, but couldnt find any resolution...

I am using soscmd.exe 4.1 and getting an error during a GetProject command. Error is as follows (verbose output attached):

Net error during attempt to read message line. (SBTF2). Error: 0
Error: Server response = 203 File

When I look in the working directory the file mentioned around this error has 0 length.

I can't find anywhere to tell what specific version of 4.1 I'm running, per some other posts that say run the 4.1.2 or 3?

What else can I do to fix or further diagnose this problem?

Thanks.
Attachments
soscmd_error.txt
cmd line output with verbose ON
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:50 pm

Can successfully complete the same command from the GUI Client?

What version of the SOS Server are you running? You can tell by checking the version from the System Info tab of the SOS Server Manager in the SOS Server directory. You can tell the version of soscmd by the version of the SOS GUI client in the same directory. Launch the GUI client and look under Tools->Options->About.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

danh

Post by danh » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Yes, can successfully complete the same command from the GUI client (recursive get project). Only difference is I have the cmd line call going to a new/empty directory, with -nocache on the cmd line.

SOS Server version: 4.1

SOS GUI (sos.exe) version: 4.0.2.171

SOS GUI version: 4.1
(from help/about, there is no tools/options/about in the GUI)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:29 pm

I'd suggest you upgrade both clients and server to SOS 4.1.2. It's a free upgrade if you're on 4.x.

You can get unexpected results when using mismatched clients and servers. I know some users have been using the 4.0.2 CLC because of an EOL bug, but this has been fixed in SOS 4.1.2.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

danh

Post by danh » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:30 am

We updated server and client to 4.1.2 and still get the same problem.

I see an error in the server log file that says a file is being used by another process. (see below) Not sure this is related to the error in the client though, looks like it's more about cleanup (deleting temp dir) after the client had a "net error" ?

What else should we try?

-------- client output --------

SourceOffSite Command Line Client: 128 bit Encryption version 4.1.2
Connected to server tpm at port 8081.
Received Secure Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending GetProject Command to server.
Got file: D:\Projects\IK\Builds\TPM\TPM.WebService\AssemblyInfo.cs
Got file: D:\Projects\IK\Builds\TPM\TPM.WebService\default.aspx
. . .
Got file: D:\Projects\IK\Builds\TPM\TPM.WebService\EmailTemplates\en-GB\email_OrderComplete.xsl
Got file: D:\Projects\IK\Builds\TPM\TPM.WebService\EmailTemplates\en-GB\email_OrderConfirm.xsl
Net error during attempt to read message line. (SBTF1). Error: 0
Got file: D:\Projects\IK\Builds\TPM\TPM.WebService\EmailTemplates\en-GB\email_OrderNotComplete.xsl
Closed connection to server tpm at port 8081.

--------- server log file contents ---------

10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - 4: Enter SendFile(1)
10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - 4: Enter SendFile(2)
Send failed: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - 4: Exception: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - 4: Enter KillConnection()
10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - 4: Error removing user temp folder 'C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite Server\temp\hanan632640253567414606'.
10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - The process cannot access the file "email_PaymentReceived.xsl.z" because it is being used by another process.
10/4/2005 12:22:40 PM - 4 - Exit KillConnection()

danh

Post by danh » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:43 pm

... and in addition to the GET failing, even worse, the soscmd.exe process returns 0 as the result code.

So our build tool assumes success and continues along happily, only to find out later that all the files didn't get retrieved properly.

Hoping you have a solution for the NET error, and then also how to determine failure to protect against when this happens?

Thanks!

danh

Post by danh » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 pm

Per your email, we tried the following:

(1) ran analyze on the VSS DB - fixed any corruption

(2) try the soscmd command on the server, so the connection is local. This succeeds. Run the same command on the client - fails with the NET error.
"Net error during attempt to read message line. (SBTF2). Error: 0"

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Finally - the fact that SOSCMD.EXE returns exit code 0 even after failure is a show stopper.

Automated tools can then not detect that something is wrong, will continue with a build process, and obviously fail later when discovering that all the source code is not present.

Any thoughts? Surely I'm not the first to find this -- what are others doing about this?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:42 pm

The fact that the command succeeds on the server but not over the network indicates a possible network issue -- but we're not sure what, exactly.

Sometimes a third party -- router, firewall, or other device closes connections after a period of time. That may or may not be the case in your situation.

Does just this particular command fail or do all commands fail? Does it depend on the size of the project?

Does the project have subprojects? Can you get one of the subprojects with the command line client?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

danh

Post by danh » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:59 pm

It seems that the "NET ERROR" is somewhat random, but so far only for the GetProject command. I tried a few GetFileList commands just now and they all work, for the same project trees that fail in GetProject.

(Just a guess, but it looks like based on the verbose output behavior that GetFileList makes one connection and returns all the data in one list, rather than the connect, drop, reconnect behavior you describe for GetProject)

GetProject will sometimes work for a recursive project of about 100 items, then the next time fail. Then I can dive into one of the sub-projects and GetProject will succeed for the same set of files where it failed previously.

I have seen success on GetProject recursively for about 100 items, but there is a large tree of probably > 1000 items on which it has failed every time.

Still - the fact that SOSCMD.EXE returns 0 upon these failures is a real show stopper to any build process.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:00 pm

the fact that SOSCMD.EXE returns 0 upon these failures is a real show stopper to any build process
Yes. We're not sure why the CLC returns 0 -- possibly it's not getting anything from the server because of the failed operation and is reusing the last code.

We'll see if we can find an additional way to troubleshoot this failed get operation.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:06 am

I have similar error

c:\projects\dataPool3x\getLabel>"c:\Program Files\SourceOffSite\soscmd.exe" -command GetProject -soshome "U:\Application
Data\SourceGear\SOS" -server 80.254.169.241:8081 -name xxxx -password "xxx" -alias xxx -project "$/xxx/db" -workdir "c:\4" -label "Test_v1.1" -recursive
Net error during attempt to read message line. (SBTF2). Error: 0

I am running client version 4.1.2 , it works form GUI client

rmg5159

Post by rmg5159 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:49 am

This problem exists within our environment as well. The problem is so bad, I have started to look for an alternate source control system.

From the testing I have done, it appears that if two clients attempt to authenticate via network (using soscmd.exe or GUI client) simultaneously, at least one of the connection attempts is dropped and causes this error to be returned (with a 0 exit code as previously mentioned)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:06 pm

There are concurrency issues with certain versions of the VSS automation component. This could be affecting your command line client connections.

What version of the automation component is the SOS Server using to communicate with the VSS database? Here's how to find out:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rrdmjansen

Version of SSAPI.dll

Post by rrdmjansen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:37 pm

The version of SSAPI.dll is 6.0.96.4

rmg5159

Post by rmg5159 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:45 am

version is as posted above.