VisualStudio IDE "Server Closed Connection" on sta

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Walt

VisualStudio IDE "Server Closed Connection" on sta

Post by Walt » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:20 am

Hi,

I have done some searching on the forums, but can't find a post that quite addresses this problem.

When opening a solution with the VisualStudio 2003 IDE, I occasionally get a dialog "Server Closed Connection". Sometimes the projects continue to load with source code control off [for some of the contained projects], so I can close and reopen the solution.

However, sometimes the IDE will hang at this point, so that I need to kill the IDE program.

This doesn't seem to be a concurrency issue, since it also happens when I am the only user.

The "hang" issue occurred this morning, so I am attaching this morning's entries in the server log file, up to the point of the "hang". You can see where the "hang" occurs, due to the 5 minute gap between 7:06 and 7:11 - there's an "Exception processing messages" entry.

I have ensured that the VSS concurrency fixes have already been applied, in the event that this also affected my problem.

We are currently using SOS Server 4.1 Pro.

While not critical, this issue can occasionally lead to a long project load time for a solution containing numerous projects, as you are required to click through the source code control assignment and password challenge dialogs.

Thanks for your help.

Walt
Attachments
soslog-20051003.attachment.txt
Cleansed logfile snippet
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 462 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:10 pm

In the SOS Server Manager, under General Settings->Idle connections, is a timeout configured? If so, disable it.

Another possibility -- could a third party, like a router or firewall be closing the connection after a period of time?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Walt

Post by Walt » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:00 pm

In the SOS Server Manager, under General Settings->Idle connections, is a timeout configured? If so, disable it.
Yes, there is a timeout configured. I will try this. Thanks.
Another possibility -- could a third party, like a router or firewall be closing the connection after a period of time?
I will check this also.

I am curious about something, however. In the example given, the connection attempt that hung was during the very first connection of the day. Would this still be affected by a timeout, given that the "hang" occured in such a short time after initial contact?

Thanks again for your help.

Walt

Walt

Post by Walt » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:54 pm

OOooops! I have another piece of information that may or may not be relevant.

When the problem occurred, I was on the same Windows network with the SOS server. I was referencing the SOS machine via its Windows Machine Name, not via its external IP address or its Domain Name.

For this reason, since the connection doesn't go through a firewall, we do not believe that the "third party" disconnect is likely.

I've cleared the timer setting as you suggested and will watch to see what happens. The problem has always been intermittent.

Thanks again for your help.

Walt