Error attempting to access source control system

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

LarryH

Error attempting to access source control system

Post by LarryH » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi,

I am using VStud.NET 2003 and SOS 4.1. I am using source control integration. I can check out files and do most other operations through the IDE, but when I attempt to check them in I get the following error message:

Source Control

An error occurred when you attempted to access the source control system. Check installation.

Then Visual Studio.NET crashes. This has happened several times. In all cases it seems to have successfully checked in one file before the error occurs. It occurs whether I am attempting to check in one file or more than file at a time.

Please help.

on edit:

It looks like each time this happened the following sequence was written to the server log file:

9/8/2005 1:44:03 PM - 93: Successfully checked-in file '$/PEI Product Data/Software/Proteus/ProteusServer.NET/ProteusTestProgLoader/TestProgramLoader.cs'
9/8/2005 1:44:04 PM - 93: Received message number 123.
9/8/2005 1:44:08 PM - 93: Exception: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
9/8/2005 1:44:08 PM - 93: Error processing client request: at ClassicService.ServerException..ctor(Int32 id, String data)
at ClassicService.ProtocolMessage.ParseStream(Socket socket, Crypto crypto)
at ClassicService.Client.GetMessage()

The exception only occurs when checking in through the IDE, not through the SOS client UI.

I hope that helps.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:30 pm

You might try unbinding and rebinding your project to SOS. Use File->Source Control->Change Source Control.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:23 pm

When I do that I get "unspecified error". This occurs when in Change Source Control and attempting to rebind.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:49 pm

Does this problem occur everytime that you attempt to check files in? Or does the problem only exists for certain files? Can other users check the files in with no problems?

Since you are having problems unbinding your solution, try opening the solution to a new working folder and see if this makes a difference. If not, I can give you details on how to manually unbind your solution.

Thanks.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:59 pm

Tonya wrote:Does this problem occur everytime that you attempt to check files in? Or does the problem only exists for certain files? Can other users check the files in with no problems?

Since you are having problems unbinding your solution, try opening the solution to a new working folder and see if this makes a difference. If not, I can give you details on how to manually unbind your solution.

Thanks.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support
It seems to occur every time I check files in, although I have mainly been checking files in with one particular solution recently. Let's put it this way: I haven't noticed it to NOT happen when I check a file in.

I am the only SOS user at my company.

I did not have any problems unbinding the solution. I got the unspecified error when I tried to rebind it again.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:30 pm

Since you are having problems rebinding, you can either create a new working folder and open the solution from source code control or delete everything in your current working folder and perform open from source code control. I would backup your files first and if you have any changes that need to be checked in, use the SOS Client. Please let me know if this makes a difference and you're able to successfully check files in after these changes.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:43 pm

I created a new working folder and opened the solution from source code control, and then looked at Change Source Control just to be sure all the bindings were valid (they were).

I had previously checked out two files, and had backed them up. So I next restored the changed (checked out) files into the new working folder, then tried to check them in using the SC integration. At this time I got the following error:

An error occurred when you attempted to access the source control system.
Check installation.

I then got the same error again (perhaps once for each attemped file checkin?) followed by "Microsoft Development Environment has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Afterwards I looked at the project with the SOS client. One of the two files had been checked in, but its status was "needs merge".

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:28 am

Could you please attempt the steps again only this time checking the files in using the Vault Client?

Let me know if this makes a difference.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 pm

I assume you mean the SourceOffsite client? Anyway, I can tell you that it will work with the SOS client because that is how I have been checking in files due to the problem with the SC integration.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:05 am

Sorry about that, I meant to say the SourceOffSite Client. :oops:

What I want you to do is to use the SOS Client temporarily to get your changes checked in so that you can reopen your solution using VS.Net with the correct SCC bindings. Once you get your changes checked in using the SOS Client, clear everything out of your working folder (or create a new one) and perform Open from Source Control from within VS.Net.

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear Support