SOS 3.5.3 client on a server OS?

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andrea

SOS 3.5.3 client on a server OS?

Post by andrea » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:32 pm

I have a user who runs Windows Server 2000 and when he tries to install the SOS it just hangs. I bought him a client license assuming that he was running XP pro. Can the 3.5.3 be loaded on his OS?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:54 pm

SOS Clients should work on Windows 2000 Server. Does the installation hang or does the client hang when it tries to connect to the SOS Server?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:33 pm

The install hangs.

andrea

Post by andrea » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:18 am

Any suggestions on why this install hangs on Server 2000?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:57 am

This is most likely specific to the machine, not to Windows 2000. At what point in the installation does the installer hang? Can you post a screenshot or email one to Linda at sourcegear.com.

Is there any error logged in the event viewer when the client hangs?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:44 pm

When the user runs the sos_client_professional.exe the installation seems to start and then fades away and nothing happens. There is no screen shot as installation starts and fades away quickly.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:42 am

Is the user installing with the installer on the C: drive? Does the person installing the software have adequate rights to install software and write to the registry?

You could also try creating a SourceOffSite folder in Program Files and copying the SOS executable and all the related files from the directory of a successful installation on a different machine. The proper registry settings may be created just by using the client.

If you'd prefer, I can send you the contents of an SOS 3.5.3 client directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear