Transfers unchanged files on Check-in

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

T!m

Transfers unchanged files on Check-in

Post by T!m » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi, I've been using SOS for a few years, have had no problems and am very pleased with it.

The only niggle is that when checking in a project, even the unmodified files are transferred from the client to the server. Their status is blank, so the client knows they are unchanged but still it sends them back to the server. Does it really need to this? (I've noticed SAW doesn't)

Most of the time I check in and out entire projects recursively and this behaviour slows Check-ins down a lot. I know its possible to do a status search on the project and then go through "checking in" and "undo checking in", but it would be simpler if I could just right-click the project and choose "Check-in".

Is this a bug/can this be changed?

Tim

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 am

Is this a bug/can this be changed?
No, it's not a bug and yes, it can be changed. The checkin behavior is determined by settings in the VSS Client on the SOS Server machine. Log into that VSS Client and choose Tools->Options->General->Checkin Unchanged Files. Select Undo Checkout from the options. Now the SOS Server should undo the checkout if the file has not been modified.

If there are other SOS users, they should each log into the VSS client on the SOS Server machine and change the setting for their own profiles.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:36 am

Hi Linda,

OK, I've been into the VSS program and made sure every user has that option set to "Undo checkout" (they already all were set to this) and the SOS client is still transferring unchanged files.

Maybe its just a problem with my setup.

Thanks for your help anyway,

Tim

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:19 am

Maybe its just a problem with my setup.
I just tried this with my own SOS installation. I had to restart my SOS Server in order for the new VSS setting to take effect. Now when I checkin an unchanged file, the version no longer increments and the file is not checked in.

If you're still experiencing a problem with this, email me at Linda at SourceGear.com. Since there is a fix, we'd like to help you get the problem resolved. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager