SOS overwriting checked out files

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Killer

SOS overwriting checked out files

Post by Killer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 am

Hello, SOS team!
I'll never lie saying I'm happy to use SOS. It saves a lot of time!
Thanks for your work!

Yet I want to complain, I have some unpleasant experiense about using SOS Client (I've got recently introduces version 4.1).
Once there was a topic in this forum where similar question was raised. The issue was: while getting latest version of files one can loose his work due to checked out files were treated as changed.
This issue is fixed now (there is an option 'Never get checked out files'). But still there is inconvenience!
Say I've set that option and checked out files are safe. But now I want to get previous or say pre-previous version of checked out file (e.g. rollback some change). I can't do that! That magic checkmark prevents getting earlier version (though progress is shown).
That's how I see the solution: when getting checked out file say to user 'File is checked out to you, want to overwrite?'. Please note, I don't want to invent something new, I just want SOS to act here exactly like VSS.

Hope, you'll help.
Thanks in advance.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:33 am

Yes, this makes sense. Right now SOS doesn't allow any overwrite of that file. I'll log this as a bug to be fixed in a future release.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Josh G.

Post by Josh G. » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:50 am

The way the get latest functions is horrible. If you have a file checked out it should not say that the file has changed, it should say, you have the file checked out. I have lost work multiple times because of this functionality.

IngoWeber

Post by IngoWeber » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:57 am

I have to agree with the statement posted earlier that the get latest functionality could be improved. The option the "Skip files that are checked out and modified" was a step in the right direction, however I think this option is not sufficient. Sometimes it is necessary to do an automatic merge on checked out files due to changes in other files I haven't checked out. So in addition to the solution posted earlier I would rather like to have the additional option "attempt automatic merge" in the message box when getting a checked out file.
In order to define the default behaviour there should be TWO separate drop down boxes in the options dialog box for files not checked out and for files checked out. Both drop down boxes should have the same content: overwrite, leave untouched, automatic merge.

Other than that I'm very happy with SOS!
Thanks.

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:45 am

I would just like to bump this thread and say this is a very important issue to me also.

Basically, I would like SOS to work like VSS in this regard, i.e. if a file is checked out you get the option to leave it alone or to merge it.

Also, as VSS does, SOS should distinguish between files which are not checked out and are read-only (which it should silently overwrite), and files which are not checked out, are writeable, and have changed. SOS should always ask (unless told not to) whether to overwrite or attempt to merge the writeable changed files.

Also, what the heck does the "Do not overwrite, merge later" option do? If I pick that option, will SOS make sure that I merge those files before I check them in?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:38 pm

Also, as VSS does, SOS should distinguish between files which are not checked out and are read-only (which it should silently overwrite), and files which are not checked out, are writeable, and have changed. SOS should always ask (unless told not to) whether to overwrite or attempt to merge the writeable changed files.
SOS does not overwrite Renegade files (writable and not checked out) or checked out files unless you choose the "Overwrite option" for your get. If you choose "attempt automatic merge", SOS will attempt to merge the file with the ;atest version from the database. If you choose "don't overwrite, merge later", SOS will leave the file alone and let you handle the merge later.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:50 pm

What is the definition of "renegade file"? Where is this documented, please? And if you tell SOS to let you merge it later, is there any indication from SOS that a file needs to be merged?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:26 pm

See SOS Client Help->The Client Window->The Client list for file status definitions. We also have online help at this link:
http://download.sourcegear.com/misc/sos ... efault.htm

The renegade file should continue to be renegade.

For files that have been checked out and modified, the status will be "needs merge" if the database version has changed since the checkout.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:36 pm

As I continue to work with SOS I am finding more difficulties with Get Latest Version. If I have a file with EDITED status (i.e. checked out and modified) sometimes I want to reset my changes; i.e. go back and start over with the latest version from SourceSafe. With VSS I could just use the Get Latest Version command and it would replace my current file with the latest version in SourceSafe. If I try this with SOS it won't overwrite the file, even if I check Overwrite and Force File Transfer.

I realize I can do the same thing if I undo the check out and then check the file out again, but that's more painful. Also, if I check Force File Transfer and nothing happens, that seems like a bug.

Finally, when I use the Get Latest version in the Visual Studio IDE, I don't even get the Get options dialog.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:09 pm

If I try this with SOS it won't overwrite the file, even if I check Overwrite and Force File Transfer.
This should work. I checked out and edited a file in the SOS GUI Client. I then did a get latest with the "Overwrite" option, and the version from the database overwrite my edit.

So we need more information.

-- What version of the SOS GUI Client are you using?

-- Are you doing the Get Latest on the individual file or are you selecting the project and doing a Get latest?

-- In the SOS Client under Tools->Options->Command Dialogs, do you have the Get Lastest command enabled? (You may not be seeing all the commands/options if this isn't checked).

-- Could you post a screen shot of the options under Tools->Options->Files in your SOS GUI Client? Or you can email it to me at linda at SourceGear.com.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:17 pm

lbauer wrote:
If I try this with SOS it won't overwrite the file, even if I check Overwrite and Force File Transfer.
This should work. I checked out and edited a file in the SOS GUI Client. I then did a get latest with the "Overwrite" option, and the version from the database overwrite my edit.

So we need more information.

-- What version of the SOS GUI Client are you using?

-- Are you doing the Get Latest on the individual file or are you selecting the project and doing a Get latest?

-- In the SOS Client under Tools->Options->Command Dialogs, do you have the Get Lastest command enabled? (You may not be seeing all the commands/options if this isn't checked).

-- Could you post a screen shot of the options under Tools->Options->Files in your SOS GUI Client? Or you can email it to me at linda at SourceGear.com.
GUI Client version is 4.1 (from Help > About)

It doesn't matter if I do Get Latest on the individual file or on a project; I tried it both ways.

All the checkboxes under Tools->Options->Command Dialogs are checked.

The attachment you requested is attached. Now I notice the option 'Always Skip Files That are checked out and modified." Is that why it isn't getting them? If so, it should tell you that it isn't getting them instead of acting as though it did!

Thank you Linda.
Attachments
sshot.jpg
The attachment you requested.
sshot.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 9752 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:22 am

Now I notice the option 'Always Skip Files That are checked out and modified." Is that why it isn't getting them?
That is most likely the reason the files aren't getting overwritten. Uncheck it and see if you can overwrite.
If so, it should tell you that it isn't getting them instead of acting as though it did!
Maybe. But since it's following your explicit instructions (don't overwrite checked out files), there really isn't any error to report.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:46 am

That was the problem, and I agree it is not an error, but any setting which is buried in menus and tabbed dialogs and which makes a command not do what it is supposed to (Get Latest Version is obviously supposed to Get Latest Version) should at least be accompanied by a warning dialog or a line to the status window something as follows:

Not getting MyFile.cs because it is checked out and you have selected the "Never Get Checked-Out Files" option.

It's not an error, but it is a useability issue. Better yet, get rid of the option altogether, and let the user specify different default options (overwrite, leave and merge later, or attempt to merge) when getting latest for (a) renegade files (b) old files and (c) edited files.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll log them to our features/bugs database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear