Show Differences not working

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Madan Shah

Show Differences not working

Post by Madan Shah » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:00 pm

We are using Window XP and SOS version 4.1 standard edition for evaluation. Clicking on Show Difference does not do anything. Working folder is set. Clicking on sgdm difference program showed msvcr71.dll is missing. Is it not a part of installtion? After coping this dll i can run sgdm program separately but not from SOS "show difference" menu.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:12 pm

We've had a couple of reports of "msvcr71.dll cannot be found."

msvcr71.dll is not part of SOS. I did an extensive Google search and it appears to be a Windows component needed for some applications to run properly. Users reported this error with a variety of software, operating systems, .NET Framework, etc.

The main solution seems to be copying it into the application folder or into the %windir%\system32 directory.

We'll investigate further and see if we can determine why this is affecting the SOS diff.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:12 am

FYI, msvcr71.dll is the MS Visual C Runtime version 7.1 which goes with the version of C++ in Visual Studio.NET 2003. It should get installed in %windir%\system32 when Visual Studio.NET is installed. Most C++ programs built with that version of C++ will need it.

OK, back to the original topic of this thread:

For me, Show Differences/Recursive is not working at all. When I invoke it the SOS client displays a lot of "Getting File List" messages in the output window, ending with the one for the root of the tree I am differencing, and then stops responding - it won't even repaint. This is with SOS 4.1 running on XP Pro. The server is running on XP Pro also, and the machine it is on is running VSS 6.0d. I have the version of the VSS automation component which requires the ThreadModel=Both edit, and I have done it.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:42 pm

Diffing an entire tree is a pretty big operation. Is there anything in the SOS log file that corresponds with the failed operation?

Is there enough space in the SOS temp folder for all the files that need to be retrieved for the diff?

Can you diff smaller portions of the tree, like individual projects?

Could some third party, like a firewall, be closing the connection after a certain amount of time or data has passed?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

LarryH

Post by LarryH » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:24 pm

This worked after restarting the SOS server. The operation took about 20 minutes during which time the GUI display was dead; i.e. it did not even repaint if the window was hidden and then uncovered. But it did work. (The log file had lots of "message number 102 received" - is that normal?)

I'll let you know if the problem resurfaces. Thank you for your support.