Can't start SOS service

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lector

Can't start SOS service

Post by Lector » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:50 am

I've just installed SOS on a W2K3 server, accessing a sourcesafe database on another server.

The SOS service is using a domain user which is a member of a group that has modify permissions on the sourcesafe folder. When I log on to a PC with that user, everything works as expected.

The SOS service won't start, and the event log has this message:
Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Error starting the 'SOS 4' server. Please check the server log for more details.
at ClassicService.ClassicService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

There is no log.txt in the SOS folder.

I use version 4.0.2.171 of the SOS service.
I have version 6.0.93.50 of SSAPI.DLL on the server.

Lector

Post by Lector » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:01 am

I turned on verbose logging and method logging, but it still didn't produce a log file.
So that made me think that the service can't log on as the user. Switching to the domain admin (!) started the service correctly, so it's my other user that doesn't work. So problems solved for now.

But that leads me to another question:
What requirements are there for the service user? I created a domain account and gave it membership to the group that access source safe. Is there any other specific permission the user needs?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:03 am

The account used by the SOS Server service needs read/write access to the SOS Server directory so it can write the log file.

It also needs access to the machine/drive/directory where the VSS database resides.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager