Cannot connect externally to SOS

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Cannot connect externally to SOS

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:57 pm

Normally my users VPN in and then connect internally to SOS. I have just gotten a new firewall and am able to put in more policies so I would like them to connect directly through the SOS client.

I have opened up the firewall to any on port 8081 and have mapped 8081 to the server at 192.168.x.x.

I am unable to do Linda's usual telnet to external ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 8081 - i tried internally to do it and had a user try it externally and we both get "Could not open a connection to host on port 8081 : Connect failed"

If I try to access it via SOS, I get the dreaded Connection Failed error. When I look at the SOS log it shows me this:

7/13/2005 4:52:34 PM - Connection accepted from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:64702 on local address 0.0.0.0:8081, session id is 20.
7/13/2005 4:52:39 PM - 20: Unable to get hostname from address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Send failed: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
7/13/2005 4:52:39 PM - 20: Exception processing messages: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Help - please.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:39 pm

Can you connect to the SOS Server with a client on the server machine, using "localhost" for the server name? If so, the SOS Server is working properly.

If telnet doesn't work, the SOS won't be able to connect either. Something is blocking the connection. Make sure the firewall is open for TCP/IP traffic both directions on port 8081. If you can get the telnet connection to work, then most likely the SOS client will be able to connect, too.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager